Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: losing poker players

I'm not a losing player, I'm a learning player. I blew about 50 dollars of my friend's real money in .01/.02. stopped and got back into it. Blew 50 dollar of a free roll, and started with 10 dollar free roll, now I'm up to 44 dollars! Yes I lose the money , but it's not losing, I'm learning.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 AM

You dropped 2500 BB at .01/.02 limit?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a huge loser. I've lost somewhere around 200k in my poker career.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive lost more than 200k in my poker career...but my wins have more than compensated. are you saying you've lost 200k net?

Barron
Old 03-13-2006, 04:41 AM

i've played in games where i was a losing player b/c of a combination of not enough skills at that limit and not enough focus and concentration.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 AM

Admitting a loss is never easy.
I have lost $1200 in my first year playing no limit.
My losses have slowed up a bit after studying a few books and reading some internet forums, 2+2 being the most useful.

The main reason I lost was bonus chasing on cash tables. Now nobody ever loses on cash tables, right? Just start on the very low limits and build up. It might be possible to make $2-3 an hour on the .01/.02 tables but hardly worth it because it doesn't help you to clear bonuses/ earn rakeback points on most sites.
You are pushed towards the .10/.25 tables and upwards which should be fine for a $300 bankroll.
The problem is that these tables are $25 $50 dollar no limit
and people will go all in preflop with any two picture cards or Ax. They will also raise you half your stack on some of your decent hands like 10/10.AK suited etc.
I would vary my play but the variance always got me.
Getting my KK/AA cracked 2 or 3 times knocked a big hole in my bankroll and all I have done is play correctly.
Effectively I had 12 BB's not 1200.

I would then go on tilt by playing in $20 SNG $100 cash tables $30 MTT's until I reloaded.
All stupid beginner mistakes that nobody ever seems to admit to.

Sure, I could of played limit/ pot limit poker but like low limits you don't feel you are making very much money and so you cannot be any good or learning too much.

Success is generally measured in this way, so I would often lie to friends and relatives that I was doing ok at poker.

With about $50 left in two poker accounts I have vowed not to reload. Playing mostly small stakes 7 card stud, freerolls and $2 SNG's.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:16 AM

I been playing for 2 months now and the first month i was doing good. I turned my 100$ into 300$ at .25/50 and .50/1 limit but the 2nd month i lost half of my money and Now i only have 135$. I dont know what happened. It seem like i being outdrawed and i cant seem to catch any good cards. Have this happened to you guys before?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 AM

Have to agree with K-Slay, I only know of a few losing players who will openly admit it. You more than often find them saying "I am about even."

I think a losing player should always start looking at not only the game they play but what kind of tables they sit at. Everyone's game is slightly different so they should think about what tables they sit at, and what players they should aim to play against.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:52 AM

i'm reasonably sure i'm a winning player at SSNL. and overall i'm a slight winner at poker, about 2000+ over 2-3 years
Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 AM

I am down, and was a losing player(I'd say a swing within $500, given the stakes I was playing that's pretty good) and I'm not ashamed to say so, I didn't even know the rules of poker until less than a year ago so I'd say my abilities have skyrocketed.

I am much better now and am currently playing .50-1.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 AM

I started winning right from the start. I was lucky and found this place before depositing any money. I was lucky and started winning money when I was probably a breakeven player.

I went on a month long tiltfest in august last year and was playing losing poker. I was lucky and only lost a little after rakeback

I am still down over my lifetime at both 30/60 and 50/100. I have been unlucky and I'm sure I can technically beat them over the long run.