Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Q9s becomes flush

MP1 is 94/18/.69 over 33 hands.
MP3 is 49/9/.71 over 35 hands.

With all the limpers, I felt good about limping behind with this hand on the button. Thoughts? Was my flop and turn play decent? What is my best course of action on the river?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $2.20
UTG+1: $11.95
MP1: $3.75
MP2: $4.45
MP3: $13.85
CO: $19.25
Hero: $13.85
SB: $14.30
BB: $5.30

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8SB, 8 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, 3 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8BB, 4 players)
MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (20BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Q9s becomes flush

PF is fine, flop as well. Pump your equity.

Turn is also good. You've got the 2nd nuts, so you bet and 3bet.
I would raise the river and call a 3bet. I could easily see them do this with a set; usually, it's a trademark of passive players to get way too aggro when they do hit a big hand. Then again, KTs is definitely possible.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM

cap the river
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Sometimes you lose money with the 2nd nuts. There are 3 people in the pot on the river, they can't both have the nuts, raise it up.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM

moved to bbv.

of course you raise/cap the river.

if there is no river cap (although it will never happen in this hand because it is 3-way), i would probably just call a 5-bet.

this hand is about as close to perfect as you can get for a flushdraw/flush.

if you have to post a seemingly straight-forward hand, why dont you tell us why you raised the flop and what you are concerned about on the turn and river.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 PM

Preflop/flop/turn are all good.

Raise and cap the river. If he has K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], that's just too bad. You're winning this a large majority of the time, plus you've got a straggler who's apparently determined to get to showdown no matter what. You're potentially missing out on six bbs (and you're at least forfeiting two bbs) by not raising this.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM

I agree with all your decisions.
The question is whether or not you think villain will cap with less than the nuts. Clearly Kxs is in his limping range (what isn't?). Even though his AF is .69, I'm guessing he's actually pretty aggressive. Playing so many hands he's got to be calling enough to balance out lots of betting. So I bet he'd be capping with any two clubs, a set, maybe even 2 pair. Plus you've got MP3 along for the ride. So I think capping the river is correct.
But if he's really a passive type, then just take the cheap showdown.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Hero raises the river. IF he has a flush, there is only one card that can beat you and that is the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. If he re-raises you, just call.

Rest of the hand looks well played.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing he's actually pretty aggressive. Playing so many hands he's got to be calling enough to balance out lots of betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very interesting idea. Can you (or anyone) back this up with some figures?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
moved to bbv.

of course you raise/cap the river.

if there is no river cap (although it will never happen in this hand because it is 3-way), i would probably just call a 5-bet.

this hand is about as close to perfect as you can get for a flushdraw/flush.

if you have to post a seemingly straight-forward hand, why dont you tell us why you raised the flop and what you are concerned about on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised the flop because with a bet and two callers in front, I figured to make money off my raise if at least the three already in the pot called. (1:2 to make my flush getting payed at 1:3) I figured if anyone behind me had an ace or 8, they would probably call regardless of whether or not I raised.

On the turn, I'm concerned that I'm being capped by one passive opponent and called by a second. I'm still happy to put my money in with the second nuts, but that K of clubs has me nervous.

On the river I just called because I couldn't imagine ever playing the way my opponent did without the K or Q in this situation. This is why I made this post. This seems like a trememdous leak, and getting feedback on these kinds of things hopefully helps me avoid them in the future. There's a good chance I missed 6 bets here! MP1 turned over a single pair of aces after all that raising, and MP3 had aces and 3s.