Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Does poker consume your life?

Try to keep it balanced by taking a break from poker, hang out with new people (resist from telling them you play poekr), read a couple novels, play some kind of sport (basketball, tennis, etc, something you can try to be good at so you keep the competitiveness there).
Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 AM

find something else to focus on.... if poker ceased to exist, what would u do with ur self?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
find something else to focus on.... if poker ceased to exist, what would u do with ur self?

[/ QUOTE ]kill myself
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 AM

I didn't read the above post, but I'll anwser yes to the subject line question.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 AM

/\

lol zeebo

OP, this sounds just like me. i thikn i am going to listen to cts and take some of my bankroll to the side and buy kewl stuff

that means i would have to move down to 10-20 though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i already have a hard enough time not taking shots at 50-100
Old 11-08-2006, 02:28 AM

for me once I start playing I have a hard time stopping, so if I know I want to go out at night and hang out with my friends or get school work done I just don't play at all that day. Is it too hard to take days off of poker for you??
Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 AM

I usually have to logicaly think about how much money I make and how easy poker is to get myslef to play now. It is not very high up on the list of things I want to do in my life.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 AM

I am a low mid stakes grinder who makes in the neighborhood of 45k a year. However, I am in school getting my degree. Poker does consume my life but, I feel that it is benefiting me so much more than not and I make 1/10 what you make. My day looks a lot like yours only I have a lot of GF time packed in their. I probably play in the neighborhood of 20 hours a week. You have to look at poker objectively and as a gift. I look at many of my friends who work 30-40 hour weeks and are full time students and make a week what I make on a given night. Plus they have student loans out the ass. Their lives are a grind. We grind for fun.

You have so much more money than 99.99999999% of people at your age. This means you can do 99.9999999% more than most your age. You can go on any vacation you want. You can buy a very nice home and buy cars like its nothing. If you quit poker today and invested all of your money, when you retire at 65ish you will have an obscene amount.

I think the key is to enjoy the life you have and look at what you have done for yourself. You have so many more options than almost anyone at your age. So basically what Im saying is poker consuming your life is not a bad thing unless you think it is. If you think its a bad thing...quit and take a tour of the world; then buy a house. Like any job poker requires sacrifice. Giving up a weekend of binge drinking in order to better yourself financially cant be a bad thing can it?

Enjoy yourself, enjoy your money and if you are no longer enjoying poker...stop and buy [censored].
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a low mid stakes grinder who makes in the neighborhood of 45k a year. However, I am in school getting my degree. Poker does consume my life but, I feel that it is benefiting me so much more than not and I make 1/10 what you make. My day looks a lot like yours only I have a lot of GF time packed in their. I probably play in the neighborhood of 20 hours a week. You have to look at poker objectively and as a gift. I look at many of my friends who work 30-40 hour weeks and are full time students and make a week what I make on a given night. Plus they have student loans out the ass. Their lives are a grind. We grind for fun.

You have so much more money than 99.99999999% of people at your age. This means you can do 99.9999999% more than most your age. You can go on any vacation you want. You can buy a very nice home and buy cars like its nothing. If you quit poker today and invested all of your money, when you retire at 65ish you will have an obscene amount.

I think the key is to enjoy the life you have and look at what you have done for yourself. You have so many more options than almost anyone at your age. So basically what Im saying is poker consuming your life is not a bad thing unless you think it is. If you think its a bad thing...quit and take a tour of the world; then buy a house. Like any job poker requires sacrifice. Giving up a weekend of binge drinking in order to better yourself financially cant be a bad thing can it?

Enjoy yourself, enjoy your money and if you are no longer enjoying poker...stop and buy [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same. Gl man,