Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Vic Champs Trip Report part 3, Every Which Way but Tight, Event 6

Vic Champs Trip Report part 3, Every Which Way but Tight, Event 6

If there’s one event I can’t wait for in the Vic champs, it’s the deep stacked 6 max event. Players start with 10k in chips at 50/100 and 40 minute levels, a massive improvement over every other tournament thus far. I arrive half an hour early for the tournament and buy in, to find that players buying in this late will all be seated at the same table. Since I was standing in line with two friends, this meant we all ended up on the same table.

In the early goings I find myself playing a lot of hands but keeping the pots small. At the beginning a few players on the table are giving me way to much respect and I’m able to bring my stack to around 13k. The first hand of interest I play is against a friend in seat 1. The OR in seat 4 is very poor post flop player whose bet sizes (not to mention worlds most hilariously obvious tells even to a guy who doesn’t watch for them) make him quite easy to play against.

Seat 4: ~6000
SB: ~10000
Me: ~13000
Blinds 75/150, I hold Ks 8s in the BB.

Preflop: 2 folds, CO raises to 300, button folds, SB calls, I call.

Flop: Jc 5h 2c
SB bets 600, the CO prepares his cards to fold, I call knowing SB never leads a strong hand. CO folds.
Turn: 9d
SB bets 700, I raise to 2100, SB tanks and folds.

After this hand the player in seat 4 starts to give me trouble despite being so obvious. After having cost me a couple thousand by refusing to fold then hitting monsters the following hand comes up. Seat 4 calls almost every flop bet and often stations to the river with very loose holdings, so It often seems profitable to 2 barrel medium strength hands for value.

Seat 4: ~8000
Me: ~10000
Blinds 75/150, I am on the CO holding Jh 9h, seat 4 is BB.

Preflop: Folds to me, I raise to 425, button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 9s 8s 5c
BB checks, I fire 600, BB calls.
Turn: 3s
BB checks, I fire 1200 (I’d often check behind here, I think vs this villain firing is better), BB throws his hands all over his head, sighs extremely audibly, then calls.
River: 6d
BB shoves, I fold.

Around the 100/200 level our table breaks not having lost a single player and I move to my new table with around 9000. The table is full of unknowns except for Mark Vos in seat 2 sitting on about 6000. One of his more amusing antics at the table is after folding getting up and walking around the table telling people “pull up your cards, I’m the hole camera.” Upon my arrival he begins taunting me for being such a massive nit. A day at the table with Mark would seem somehow incomplete without being insulted. A couple rounds into my stay at the table a hand comes up between the two of us:

Mark: ~6500
Me: ~9000
Blinds 100/200, I hold 9s Td on the HJ, it’s the hand before the break and players are already half out of their seats.

Preflop: UTG folds, I raise to 600, folds to Mark in the BB, he calls.

Flop: Ks 8s 2s
Mark checks, I check.
Turn: Ah
Mark checks, I bet 750, Mark thinks then raises to 3000. I tell him “you think your bluffing but your probably value raising, I fold.”
“Jack high?”
”Yep, value raise.”

After the break I find this table is not nearly as accommodating in allowing me to run them over. I mostly stay out of Marks way but even the other players are cold calling often pre flop and leading/check raising the flop a lot, and I’m forced to give up the hand to often and watch my chips slowly slide. There’s a younger player in seat 6 who after about 4 rounds at the table, seems to be mostly tight but calls out of position way to often. I enter a hand with him at 100/200 with 25 ante that goes as follows:

My stack: ~8500
His stack: ~10000
I hold 8c Tc on the CO.

Preflop: Folds to me, I raise to 625, button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 7c 8h 9h
SB checks. I lead 800. SB begins fiddling with his chips and considering things. I decide if he raises about 3X to say 2500 I will jam and I’m pretty sure I’ll get enough folds plus win enough (I normally have 8-10 live outs unless he’s JT in which case I’m just [censored]) that it’ll be a good play. SB thinks things over, then puts in a massive raise to 4000. [censored], there’s basically nothing I can do with that raise. I don’t really know what it means from him having only played a few rounds and I’ve got no FE left. I fold.

I say something to the table along the lines of “man I get no respect around here, all my raises getting crushed. Aces only from now on.”
I fold the next hand, then get AA UTG the hand after that but after raising my standard amount get 5 folds. Sigh, the one time I don’t get stationed.

A round later I raise AJ and a nit shoves and I’m forced to fold. Eventually I go on a cold run of cards and really tighten up instead of trying to force the action. After folding about 3 or 4 rounds of pure god awful rags the following hand comes up:

Me: 5500
Button: ~6500
Blinds 100/200 with 25 ante. We’ve just lost a player who would be SB and the BB is Mark who probably won’t play me OOP too loosely.
I hold 7h 3h on the CO.

Preflop: UTG folds, I raise to 600. Button puts out a grey (1000) and black (100) and says nothing. He had often done this before and remembered to say call, but this time apparently forgot. Mark asks the button what he’s doing. Button says that he’s called. Mark says he’s pretty sure it has to be a raise. The dealer looks over at the amount thrown out, realizes my raise is 400 more, his 600 more, and therefore is legal. Mark folds in the BB and I very quickly move all in. The button now tanks forever, as my shove is almost his entire stack. He counts down his chips, stares over at me, tanks some more. Finally he says something like “I guess you could have a mid pair” and calls, showing AJo. I flip up 73hh with as much style and gusto as I can muster.

Flop: A A Q
And my day is over.
“At least you have my respect” says Mark. Hopefully Marks respect can comfort Timex’s wallet.

The next playable tournament is the 550 turbo tournament (20 seconds to make a decision, awesome idea for a tournament Crown, people in live [censored] me with how they waste hours on stupid [censored] decisions.) There’s also the upcoming 15k tournament on Thursday which is a maybe. After that is the $3200 main event on Sunday (through Tuesday) where hopefully I can luck-box something good. After that I’ll finally be able to make my triumphant (read: running back to with tail between my legs after 2 months of getting ass kicked) return to online poker.

Edit: No staking talk.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Vic Champs Trip Report part 3, Every Which Way but Tight, Event 6

First
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 AM

So, this community will soon see an increased amount of sweat threads in a short while. GL with your remaining live donkaments! Enjoyable reading as always!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 AM

GL with this, i'll be down on friday night to check out the 15k event
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM

While your trip reports make for great reading, they also make for extremely painful reading at the same time. Please [censored] run better. Like, seriously.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 AM

interesting read, thanks for writing it up and gl getting staked/winning the 3200 ME.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While your trip reports make for great reading, they also make for extremely painful reading at the same time. Please [censored] run better. Like, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i know seriously, how does 73hh not hold over AJo? Live poker is so rigged.

To be honest i thought i had an easy fold for sure here, but i posted the hand in HSMTT.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I flip up 73hh with as much style and gusto as I can muster.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important. When my all-in steal reraise in the main event was called by Jacks, I pushed my 75 off forward with one finger on each card like they were super-Aces. It has to be done.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First

[/ QUOTE ]

so?

Bond,

Cool TR, GL.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 AM

I think I need to just get a generic Bond TR post and copy and paste every time.

It goes something like: Great read, keep it up, shame about the luck, please god run better and good luck for tommorow's tournament.