Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Best Laptop for a poker player?

[ QUOTE ]
Those apple notebooks are just too pricey though. It costs an arm and a leg for a decent computer at 17" from them whilst you could shop around and get much better deals for comparable comps sans the MacOS. For productivity one could then boot to Linux and boot to XP for poker. One could get a very good comp at 17" with a decent video-card and two monitor plugs (for three monitoring) for around $1300 or so.

Basically, I think Apple makes good comps, but given computer price-points today, I think they are more than a bit too pricey, especially if one's needs pretty basic, and sometimes even if they are pretty advanced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it really depends on what you want to do with your computer. You -can- do everything from any OS, but you run into the issue of which OS lets you do it the easiest/best way.

I obviously think the mac wins hands down, with linux coming in a close second (if you really know what you're doing). But if the main use is poker and web browsing, you may as well get a vista machine from costco.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those apple notebooks are just too pricey though. It costs an arm and a leg for a decent computer at 17" from them whilst you could shop around and get much better deals for comparable comps sans the MacOS.

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends on your definition of "comparable."
Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those apple notebooks are just too pricey though. It costs an arm and a leg for a decent computer at 17" from them whilst you could shop around and get much better deals for comparable comps sans the MacOS.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Example:
Apple MacBook Pro
15" widescreen
1 DVI-port
multiple USB
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz
nVidia 8600M GT w/ 256 SDRAM
160 GB HD @ 5400rpm
Price: $2500

Asus F3SV-A1
15.4" Widescreen
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz
160 GB HD @ 5400 rpm
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667
1 DVI port, 1 VGA port
multiple USB, et cetera
nVidia 8600M GS
Cost: $1350

Given the above, I think there is no way I could reasonably purchase the Apple unless I simply had to have the extra bit it gave. Cost-to-gain, Apple loses here hands down.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:02 PM

is the video on the Asus dedicated? Whats the weight of the laptop?
Both are items that when traveling are very important. I want dedicated video ram and a light weight notebook. I also think the illuminated keyboard is a plus.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Example:
Apple MacBook Pro
15" widescreen
1 DVI-port
multiple USB
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz
nVidia 8600M GT w/ 256 SDRAM
160 GB HD @ 5400rpm
Price: $2500

Asus F3SV-A1
15.4" Widescreen
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz
160 GB HD @ 5400 rpm
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667
1 DVI port, 1 VGA port
multiple USB, et cetera
nVidia 8600M GS
Cost: $1350

Given the above, I think there is no way I could reasonably purchase the Apple unless I simply had to have the extra bit it gave. Cost-to-gain, Apple loses here hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't post the size of the laptops. You didn't post reviews of the screen quality for each system. You didn't note the fact that you can get a MacBook Pro that supports a 30" display. Those are just the first few things that come to mind.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Screen quality edge almost certainly goes to the Macbook. However, they have the same resolution on the primary screen. Also, the external monitor support is pretty much identical too (except you can hook up one extra monitor to the Asus). As for the size issue, yeah, the Asus is about a pound heavier, like 6.5 for the Asus versus 5.5 for the Macbook Pro. However, isn't it worth the extra pound to save well over $1000?

Yeah, the things you mention do perhaps come to mind, but these are certainly comparable given the prior specs and the above resolution/size/external-monitor support information.

Seriously though, what is next, do I need to compare battery life to see if the Asus is a better value given that it is $1150 cheaper?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 AM

I really depends on how often you use the computer. If you use the laptop 20 hours a week 52 weeks a year thats 1000+ hours in one year. I'd most certainly pay $1 an hour of use for a screen better on the eyes, a cheaper unit and a better system for playing poker.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:06 AM

Well, I gave the edge to the Mac on screen, but the resolution is the same and the quality is probably more similar than dissimilar. And further, with the Mac, you have to use an emulator while buying the XP OS and/or buy an additional OS (namely XP or Vista) to run your poker games, while you won't have to buy any additional OS for something like the ASUS.

And again, if you really move up and using three monitors becomes the norm, paying for the extra monitor plug becomes useful as you don't have to come up with a complicated and more expensive method to play on a third monitor.

Call me crazy but I think ditching the Macbook is a no-brainer unless you like spending extra money for little reason (and/or you REALLLY love Mac OS).
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Best Laptop for a poker player? *DELETED*

Post deleted by SamIAm
Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Do you really need a 17" screen - especially if you are using external monitors? If not, the macbook (rather than the higher end macbookpro) is much better value (approx $1500 with reasonably comparable specs, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 120GB hard drive).

Also, dont forget the large amount of great software that you get pre installed with the mac - and none of the rubbish you get with other computers.

All in all though... if its just for poker, maybe a mac isnt the best choice - but im sure you wouldnt regret one if you did buy eventually.