Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Am I a scumbag, B&M?

Not a scumbag!
Ask yourself, would that guy tell you if the situation were reversed? I play hard against my opponents. My winnings come from bad, drunk players, from their mistakes. Not from good players.
Sorry, that's poker in a cardroom. Were it in a homegame, I'd tell the person in a heartbeat.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should add that this player was entirely capable of shoving 150BB at any point with complete air. There was potentially a ton of money to be made in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man:Will you sleep with me for $1,000,000?
Woman:...okay.
Man:How about $20?
Woman:I'm not a whore!
Man:You're first answer proved you are, we're just negotiating now.

(joke stolen from older B&M thread)

The amount of money/limits does not change right/wrong. Tell him once, and then if you feel it's okay to look, I can't stop you.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. I'd like to hear you explain to the table how and why you played your hand that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey buddy, you play your hand your way, I will play mine my way. I knew I had you, I could see into your soul

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

b
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 PM

Best thing to do, in my judgment, is to tell him and tell him you're not going to say anything again.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Not a scumbag
2. 2/5 player is douche for not protecting his hand
3. This is poker not go fish - there is no reason to tell someone that you can see their hand. Their fault not yours.

Why not keep an advantage? Anybody that says any different is an idiot - although an honest idiot - but this isn't an honesty game, its a dishonesty game.

Getting a peak at someone else's cards is not cheating. It's free information, thats it. What you choose to do with that info is up to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soooo if 2 buddies sat down. One guy was showing the other guy his cards it's just the luck of the seating and no one should mind? Ok. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that. After all, you could've switched seats prior to them sitting down and gotten a prime seat. You snoozed, you lost. No harm done.

It being a 'dishonest' game I guess that means you should try to win no matter what. Including shooting angles, shorting the pot and everything else.

b
Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 PM

No
Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should add that this player was entirely capable of shoving 150BB at any point with complete air. There was potentially a ton of money to be made in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the ethics change if you can make a lot of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted ppl to be aware of the scope of the situation. The ability to potentially take down a monster pot w/ Ace high is significant here.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:20 AM

Default you have to ask yourself...

Do I want to win that way?

If someone is exposing their hand, I always warn them once. Nice old ladies, twice. Hott chicks, well that depends if they brought their boyfriend or not. I always say "I don't want to win that way."

If they are being a total douche, maybe not.

So how far across the line are you willing to go to win?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: you have to ask yourself...

[ QUOTE ]
Do I want to win that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!

The only time I would comment on this is if the player is obviously a noob, or if the player had a physical disability of some sort that made concealing hole cards difficult.

I just do not find this to be cheating or angleshooting in any way. While they are minimal, their are certain physical skills related to playing poker, particularly in a live cardroom. IMO, taking advantage of a player who is weak in those areas is no different than taking advantage of a player who weak in that he is limping too often UTG.

As a matter of fact, here is Mike Caro's opinion on this subject, from his Draw Poker contribution from SS1:

[ QUOTE ]

Try to spot players who sit upright and who seem attentive. Avoid them. Select a table where there are distractions - an attractive woman, a boisterous drunk - because they will bother your opponents more than they will hurt you. Players changing seats impulsively are apt to be superstitious. Play in their games. Players exposing cards will be helpful. Choose the table with the biggest pots and the most players per pot........

If there's alot of conversation unrelated to poker, good - they aren't concentrating...

p 57 Doyle Brunson's Super System
Game Selection

[/ QUOTE ]

~Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was a new player, I would tell him/her.

Against this guy OTOH, ship it.

[/ QUOTE ]