Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Ask Borno about undergrad business internships

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any advice as to where to start in looking for an internship in this field?

[/ QUOTE ]

What school do you go to?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Princeton
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Princeton

[/ QUOTE ]

go to the career fair in october, ask everyone there about internships, even though they won't be thinking about summer hires yet.

go to info sessions run by companies in december.

apply to everything on tigertracks in january/february.

career services is not as useless as they seem, bring your resume to them for proofreading and advice on wording/formatting/etc.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Princeton

[/ QUOTE ]

go to the career fair in october, ask everyone there about internships, even though they won't be thinking about summer hires yet.

career services is not as useless as they seem, bring your resume to them for proofreading and advice on wording/formatting/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. Is it a lot harder to get an internship as a sophomore as opposed to a junior?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Princeton

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. Is it a lot harder to get an internship as a sophomore as opposed to a junior?

[/ QUOTE ]

as a sophomore without connections, you should be focusing mainly outside BB firms, but can definitely still get something if you are knowledgeable in interviews and have a good gpa and relevant coursework on your resume (eg taking eco 362 this fall) so that you get them. also, having even a mediocre finance-related internship now will help in the search next year.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Yea since you're at a good target school just go to the career office and get the schedule and talk to someone there. Then just go to all the events. You 99% won't get an internship at a BB after sophomore year but it's probably a good idea to apply anyway so you experience the process. But also apply at smaller firms, and you should be able to get something.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 AM

Finance major going into sophomore year at LSU w/4.0 gpa. Served five years active duty enlisted military after H.S. (so obvs older than average undergrad). Advice on getting internship with a top firm? Also, will taking honors classes help with getting internships/into top mba program?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Disclaimer: I am not in the industry but am in a similar situation and have read/heard a fair amount about the process.

First, the active durty military will be a positive for your resume. Especially if you were in a high pressure branch of the military (ie airforce pilot, marine, special forces).

Second, you gpa is excellent and also very imporant. You need to maintain a very high GPA.

Your main problem is you go to LSU. LSU is a non target school for the top firms/investment banks. Try to use LSU alumni or contacts to pass your resume through the system to get the internships. Make sure to keep that GPA up.

Also, since you go to a non target you should be focused on work experience. Try to have relevent summer inernships during your sophmore summer/school year.

I don't think taking honors classes will be a huge benfit to your resume. Most employers probably won't see your transcript until they have already really expressed interest/ hired you and are doing a background check. I'm not sure how it effects MBA applications.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 AM

Hello, I am a rising sophomore at a top school in New York. I had a very basic job this summer not related to finance, and was hoping that I would land a finance internship this year.

GPA: 3.7

However, my skills are limited to:

Basic economics courses: micro/macro/accounting/econometrics/stats
Computer skills: word, excel, access, pp

and no computer language [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have friends who have landed bulge bracket internships with less credentials, but I think they have connections. Any advice on what I should work on to become more competitive this winter during interview season?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM

which school?