Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Should I Join a Fraternity?

[ QUOTE ]
Recent LSU Alum here. Wasn't in a frat but a lot of my friends were. They always had parties and stuff to do. And, even the dorky ones in dorky frats always had girls around. Going to LSU and not joining a frat was a bad decision for me. You'll have a blast. Don't let people tell you that its bad for your grades. I have several frat friends who got into good med, dental, law and other grad schools.

What frat are you looking to join?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which one to join. I'm going to the recruitment rounds to check them all out and go from there. You have any info/opinions on any of them?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recent LSU Alum here. Wasn't in a frat but a lot of my friends were. They always had parties and stuff to do. And, even the dorky ones in dorky frats always had girls around. Going to LSU and not joining a frat was a bad decision for me. You'll have a blast. Don't let people tell you that its bad for your grades. I have several frat friends who got into good med, dental, law and other grad schools.

What frat are you looking to join?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which one to join. I'm going to the recruitment rounds to check them all out and go from there. You have any info/opinions on any of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're doing the recruitment rounds just use your better judgment. If a frat looks like its not your kind of people then don't join. All of the big frats are pretty cool and some of the small ones are too. But, there are some crappy small ones (Pike, Theta XI(sp?)). I don't want to bad mouth any of them too bad here, because you might meet the members and like them. Just go for what you think is a fit for you. Also, my friends who already knew people b4 joining a particular frat seemed to have a better time in their respective frats.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM

no
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Heres some advice for going around during rush.
Rush is all about getting new members for the fraternity. People will be coming up to you, asking you the same questions and giving you free food and free alcohol to try and get you to join their fraternity. Make sure you look past the fact that all these people are acting like your best friend and youve known them for only a day. They are doing their job and recruiting.

After rush, there is no more free stuff. I dont know about LSU, but hazing still occurs so ask around campus for the extent a fraternity hazes.

People that are not in fraternities often cite stuff like "oh you have to pay for your friends" and crap like that. What they dont realize is that your dues go toward parties, away weekends, socials, predrinks and other fun stuff you wont really have a chance to do in the dorms.

Theres a fraternity for everyone. My fraternity was pretty mixed up. There were different religions, ethnicities and personalities. Some people in the fraternity I dont think I would have ever hung out with if i hadnt pledged thier house and others I think I still would have been best friends with. Im sure their are differnt types of fraternities on your campus (drunks, potheads and drunks, dorks, religious, and ones that do community service and philanthropy stuff- its not hard to find the one you want to go to.

If you are looking for stuff to do, girls to hang out with, stuff to put on your resume and job opportunities from alumni then you should do it. But fraternity life just isnt for some people.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM

I'm too full of myself to go through the rushing thing / hazing or whatever they do.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm too full of myself and afraid of the elephant walk to go through the rushing thing / hazing or whatever they do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 AM

yea if you are full of yourself, you will hate pledging. but ive never actually heard of a fraternity forcing homosexual acts on their pledges.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At a school like LSU you will undoubtedly have more social options if you join one. That said, you will for sure be subject to a lot more dumb drama. Just don't be "that frat guy" aka a "fraternity man." Tons of guys in frats are just fine, but there are few people I hate more than the ones who take it too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you undergrad or grad at Tulane? I went there for one semester after HS then joined the Army to help pay for the tuition............Iraq.............honorable discharged.........go to LSU for free [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
- Do you play @ Harrah's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I go to Tulane. Thankfully here the nightlife is sick and the greek system isn't super inclusive so you can still have a great social life without drama. I still go to lots of sorority formals and some frat things if I get invited by my friends in them, although that's more of a freshmen/sophomore scene so I doubt I'll be going much this coming year. I'll play at Harrah's when I turn 21 in January.

All that said, if I went to a school like LSU, I'd probably join a frat if it wasn't too douchey.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if I went to a school like LSU

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You pretty much answered your own question. Go ahead and dive head first into the whole rush experience and decide for yourself if you'd like to join a fraternity. Everyone here will offer you different viewpoints that are all biased in some way so you'd be better off just to find out for your own sake.

[/ QUOTE ]