Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Should I Join a Fraternity?

I'm probably going to do the recruitment rounds to check it out but I would like to hear some views/experience/advice/etc. on anything about the Greek life before I go.

Thanks for the help!
(2nd year @ LSU)
Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Should I Join a Fraternity?

You pretty much answered your own question. Go ahead and dive head first into the whole rush experience and decide for yourself if you'd like to join a fraternity. Everyone here will offer you different viewpoints that are all biased in some way so you'd be better off just to find out for your own sake.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

tough asking advice about this since views are so polarized one way or the other.

personally, i joined a business fraternity, think it was the best decision of college and simultaenously hate it. ok don't really HATE it, but the structure and drama is incredibly annoying. however, i've met some of my best friends in it.

it wasn' t a social frat so its not totally the same. but just make sure, if you join one, that its not filled with douchebags. please?
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You pretty much answered your own question. Go ahead and dive head first into the whole rush experience and decide for yourself if you'd like to join a fraternity. Everyone here will offer you different viewpoints that are all biased in some way so you'd be better off just to find out for your own sake.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good first post.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I should have not said "should I join" I just want to hear some peoples experience with frats and if anyone has any advice in general.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Strangely, fraternities seem to be a very polarizing topic in here. Either you love them (were in one) or you want them burned to the ground (they sexed your gf, boohoo).

Edit:
There have been some pretty lengthy threads on this topic. Do a search in the 'Student Life' forum over the last year. search for '+frat -re:' keywords in the subject.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 PM

At a school like LSU you will undoubtedly have more social options if you join one. That said, you will for sure be subject to a lot more dumb drama. Just don't be "that frat guy" aka a "fraternity man." Tons of guys in frats are just fine, but there are few people I hate more than the ones who take it too far.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At a school like LSU you will undoubtedly have more social options if you join one. That said, you will for sure be subject to a lot more dumb drama. Just don't be "that frat guy" aka a "fraternity man." Tons of guys in frats are just fine, but there are few people I hate more than the ones who take it too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you undergrad or grad at Tulane? I went there for one semester after HS then joined the Army to help pay for the tuition............Iraq.............honorable discharged.........go to LSU for free [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
- Do you play @ Harrah's?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM

def. join
Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Recent LSU Alum here. Wasn't in a frat but a lot of my friends were. They always had parties and stuff to do. And, even the dorky ones in dorky frats always had girls around. Going to LSU and not joining a frat was a bad decision for me. You'll have a blast. Don't let people tell you that its bad for your grades. I have several frat friends who got into good med, dental, law and other grad schools.

What frat are you looking to join?