Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: should i continue playing poker? lost my bankroll 3 times but bro

Hey Blitz,

I read your post and suggest that you continue playing. With that said, however, there are some things that I have a feeling you know you should do that you aren't:

1) Poker isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You've shown that you can build a bankroll from meager beginnings, but then blast it away when you lose a few sessions. You can't change a previous result by moving up in limits and attempting to get it back. More often than not, you are going to extend that losing streak due to tilt, bad play or simply bad luck. I've fallen victim to that thought before and, thankfully, have been able to discipline myself to not do it now.

2) If you realize you are tilting, that's the time to shut off the poker room and do something else. Read, watch TV, go out with friends, whatever...just don't head back to the tables until you have your mental faculties back in control. This is something that players constantly have to balance and it is always a struggle.

I've been in the mood to play frequently and completely shut my poker games down if I realize that tilt is clouding my judgment. Once again, something that is extremely difficult to do but needs to be done sometimes.

3. Don't feel like you HAVE to play. Poker should be enjoyable, even if you are playing for money. Once you lose that enjoyment, then it becomes old fast.

There have been some great bankroll requirement suggestions here as well as tracking methods. Use those...then you should be able to get an idea of whether you are successful or not.

There is a reason that poker players are called "grinders". Sometimes that's what it takes to be a continued success in the game, whether you win a little or quite a bit or lose the same. It is a long term effort, not a two or three week (or month) span.

Keep playing and let us know how you do.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been playing for 4 years and lost a ton the first two but havent lost any the last two problem is I havent won any either

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 5% ROI but im averaging 15.00 SNGS

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
neglecting our family, our kids, girlfriends or even our own minds

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I see.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 PM

I know what you mean guys. i was like up $300 then moved up and won $700 then i lost like $400 in one session before losing the lot. Then I deposited $200, won a tournament for $2000 the slowly lost it all. Im sure i only win with AA vs KK like 71% of the time and i reckon about 26.4% of the time i pick up KK i run into AA.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 PM

i decided to give poker another shot, and deposited $70 into my pokstars account. playing heads up and 9 person SNG's i made $50 in about 45 minuets of playing. i am determined to never throw my bankroll away as I did previously, thanks to all who offered me positive advice, i will do my best to continue playing poker with proper bankroll management
Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: should i continue playing poker? lost my bankroll 3 times but broken

OP, first of all, paragraphs would help, hehe. That hurt my eyes.

Anyway, I can relate to your problem. My experience has been limited to Full Tilt, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to be a consistent winner on Party Poker. Full Tilt has been a different story, however.

At first, it was fine. I deposited $600 and grinded it out until I had earned by 100% deposit bonus. Over the next couple months, I picked up some other bonuses from Full Tilt. Plus, I was getting Rakebreak every month. On top of all of that, I was actually winning a little bit.

I got close to $3,000 in March, mostly playing .50-1 NL. However, it was all downhill from there. I stopped winning. In the summer, I had to cash a good amount out. I have not been able to win consistently at the cash games. For one thing, it is evident that the players are much better on Full Tilt than they were on Party Poker.

Lately, I've just been trying to find a game that works for me. I have tried NL from .10-.25 up to 1-2. I have also ventured into the world of PLO and even NLO Hi/Lo. I have played sit n' gos and tournaments. Nothing seems to be working. I'm basically a break-even player right now. It's very frustrating.

I really don't know what advice to give you. My attitude is similar to yours. I know I can play poker. I have memories of how well I used to do, and I'm not willing to accept that I have forgotten how to win.

Personally, I'm going to keep plugging away and see what happens. I'm going to try playing more live poker too.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is: Deposit enough for 100 of the lowest SNG buyins. Just play single table SNGs. Then move up to the next level with anything greater than the 100 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an intriguing idea, Qrawl. I assume you have done this before yourself. It seems like a good system. What level of SNGs are you playing if in fact you use your own system?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah you should try again. have you given 100nl full ring on ft a try? pretty profitable stuff imo. let me know if you do

[/ QUOTE ]

Das Budrick,

This is what I did when I first started on Full Tilt. Then one of my friends convinced me to start playing the 6-max tables. It hasn't been great. Do you still play full ring? What level? How is it working out for you? Do you just nut peddle at those tables?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Just keep trying and before you know it you'll be playing $10/$20 just like this guy -

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD