Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Whats his range?

OK. Its a start. Somebody find a better example and submit for review.

Ret
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 AM

Deleted last hand because it was probably a poor example.

Don't have exact tracker numbers because I am getting the HH from my email at work. The guy was fairly loose (~41 percent of flops) and I had seen him go for his entire stack with j10 on a 10 high board and q9 on a 9 high board - both of which were no way co-ordinated.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $47.75
Hero (BB): $106.55
UTG: $42.30
CO: $50.45
BTN: $49.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt xs xh (5 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $3.50</font>, Hero calls $3.50

Turn: ($11.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

Pot Size: $11.25
Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 AM

Deleted because posted hand was deleted
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range

[ QUOTE ]
One of the difficult things about ranging opponents for me is that I usually bias ranges on what I would do, even for a player that doesn't have similar stats to me. I mean, I know I shouldn't do that, and being aware of it, I lessen the problem, but sometimes it's really difficult to put poor players on ranges at the micros (and I try to avoid the good players)...you don't see them enough, and guys with similar stats can still have different ranges.

I try to compensate by using the techniques mentioned in a couple different posts, of seeing what specific action they take with various types of hands. I don't think that I do a great job of it, but I do think that's the way to go, at least until you start running into the same players on a more frequent basis than I run into my opponents now.

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing I write down in my notes very often is if a given player is an "Ace hunter" and/or a "flush hunter". Helps to not lose as much on cbeting into A high boards and calling bets once a flush hits

I pretty much use the same thought process as traz. What beats me and would play like this/what doesn't beat me and would play like this. Then I kinda weight it by what I think the player is capable of (i.e. supernit might raise a set that beats my TP but not a draw that doesn't) and that's about it.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 7: The REM Process \"Intro\" and \"R is for Range

[ QUOTE ]
Loose players who see 80% of flops *must* be playing all sorts of garbage including stuff like J3s - it's sooted, 95o - i could make a straight with it, K9o - I'm not dominated often enough for it to matter (or even better - what do you mean dominated).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, even better - K2o - I might flop a pair of kings! That is the depth of thinking, literally, and in some games, that is kick ass because everyone else is playing J3 and 95 and middle pair is the nuts, so a flop of KJ9 you are starting to think about felting someone. The guy with the jacks knows the raisor is just bluffing that K.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:09 AM

As for pre-flop, I assign the same range (which is wide) to the best and worst players at the table. The unimaginative weak tight ones that probably break even and the 15/2 rocks are the only ones worth trying to narrow down pre-flop.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

That's an often overlooked point: preflop and postflop ranges can be uncorrelated. Some players have a wide preflop range, but a straightforward postflop play. Others can be put on narrow preflop ranges, but their postflop play doesn't give you much information. If you think: "It's impossible to put these donkeys on a hand," well, these donkeys might call a preflop raise with 32s, but on the flop they often tell you exactly what they have.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:21 PM

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($32)
BB ($34.60)
UTG ($66.15)
Hero ($24.90)
CO ($15)
Button ($31.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.35.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, CO (poster) calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.95) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($6.95) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $11.65</font>, Hero calls ??

what is the range of my villain?

45/18/0.93 180hands
Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM

I put him on:

- donkey because posted the blind out of time

- got some medium hand like: A8+, K9+, suited connectors, pocket pairs. KQ, QJ, QT... he didnt reraise pre flop, so he cant has AA, KK, QQ(assumig he is not a freak, what seems to be).

- on the flop I made my standard c-bet(value bet) and he called. at this moment I put him on a draw(89s, J9o and hands like that) or KQ, AT and hands like these. He didnt raise me on the flop, so I can start assuming he hasn't QT, QQ or TT... maybe 99, JJ(btw, JJ starts to enter on the range of hands he would have me raised pre flop).

- the draw HEATS. now WHAT? I think its pretty weak checking the turn and let him draw free for the river. so I bet and he insta shoves...

- now WHAT?

What hands beat me that this player would take this line with on this board? a,b,c
What hands do I beat that this player would take this line with on this board? x,y,z
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

On the turn when he raises you can put him from two pair flush to a flush draw to nothing. Hard to get away from the hand put it in you are still ahead of his range.