Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Mid pair 3-way

Co = tagish
Btn = 80/20/1.5

What's the plan?

Titan Poker 2.00/4.00, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

Preflop: reversebroke is in the BB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, LAGfish raises to 4.00, forestfan calls 4.00, 1 fold, reversebroke calls 2.00.

Flop (13.00) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
reversebroke checks, LAGfish bets 2.00, forestfan raises to 4.00, reversebroke ?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Mid pair 3-way

In this spot, I'd just call.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 PM

I happen to know the button is a loose passive fish. I don't know that he could even bet without a made hand. He's bad like dad. When this calling station raises the flop I give him credit for the 9 at least. Just my guess but that's my read on forestfan. So we're looking to gut this flop and hope the donkey isn't already straight or poised to pair the board. Then there are those 2 dangerous 7s.

I think I fold to the flop raise.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Well, BU seems legally retarded so I don't hate 3-betting to try to get it HU since he's often on a draw of some sort and we have outs vs 2-pair type hands. I'm totally cool with exploiting the handicapped. I also steal candy from babies whenever possible. They have a surprisingly strong grip, though.

Anyway... CO also might 3-bet if we just coldcall, since he presumably knows that we know what's going on in BU's brain (or more to the point, what isn't). We wouldn't hate it if CO folded overs here, especially single spades, and we might even freeze up an overpair. That has to weighed against the probability of being capped (by either opponent), which seems high even though our c/3b line is usually something that makes people take notice.

In the flow of the game I probably would have cc'ed, but I like a 3-bet to try to get it HU vs BU. When behind we usually have quite a few outs, and this could be all sorts of sketchy draws. Might as well invest a little more and then concentrate on getting to showdown inexpensively if it gets HU and we don't improve.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM

So we have a call, a fold and a 3-bet. I still don't know how to handle this spot correctly.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, BU seems legally retarded so I don't hate 3-betting to try to get it HU since he's often on a draw of some sort and we have outs vs 2-pair type hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

My read on this player as described above is that he's not likely to bet a draw. I realize the information added is beyond the OPost. I can't help but include it because I've played this donkey.

Therefore I'm sticking with the fold.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Button's stats suggest he's likely to bet a slew of hands worse than a draw. For the price of one extra sb you get to fold 6 outers, the pot isn't small and you could easily be ahead.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM

It is raise or fold imo, and it is dependent from your read of the Btn. If you think there is a good chance than you are ahead you must raise because CO has 6 outs and he has a big spade 50% of the time.

If you think it is quite unlikely you are ahead on the flop, you must fold. It is 5 to 1 to call and 10 to 3 to raise in the best case. You have just 6 outs quite dirty.

If you spike a 7, you loose if Button has a 8 and you can chop with a 8 on the river. The 8 of spade is not clean. The other 8 are not 100% clean either. Anyway There is always a threat of FD.