Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: 4/180, Flopped a set

Anytime you raise and flop a set on an Ace high flop, bet, bet, bet, bet, bet. Lead out for 2/3 pot, Ax is coming along and might even raise you, donks at his level will call you with any draw. You bet not because you want draws to fold, you want them to call getting improper odds. I'll repeat this: if you flop a set in any situation with an A on board (when you don't have AA) bet out every time.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM

hella obv you cant check.

obv got to bet any flop.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 PM

If the CO is a tight player, bet. However if he was aggressive, I'd check to see if the CO wants to go all in with his last 500. This may even induce a call from the big stack, allowing you to push him off his hand, and at that point the worst that could happen to your set is virtually break even.

However if both to CO and BB check, you must bet on the turn unless another spade shows. If the third spade comes, now you'd be looking for a boat, your betting would be borderline suicidal, and your calling requirements change accordingly.

Boils down whether or not you're willing to risk a spade on the turn.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the CO is a tight player, bet. However if he was aggressive, I'd check to see if the CO wants to go all in with his last 500. This may even induce a call from the big stack, allowing you to push him off his hand, and at that point the worst that could happen to your set is virtually break even.

However if both to CO and BB check, you must bet on the turn unless another spade shows. If the third spade comes, now you'd be looking for a boat, your betting would be borderline suicidal, and your calling requirements change accordingly.

Boils down whether or not you're willing to risk a spade on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty bad advice, IMO. Checking the flop after raising PF looks pretty suspicious, and allows opponents with draws to peel off a card for free.

We have the nuts right now, and we should be interested in building a pot, trying to get all the money in the middle. You don't accomplish that by checking.

I really can't even begin to express how bad checking this flop is.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is pretty bad advice, IMO. Checking the flop after raising PF looks pretty suspicious, and allows opponents with draws to peel off a card for free.

We have the nuts right now, and we should be interested in building a pot, trying to get all the money in the middle. You don't accomplish that by checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The play I explained is assuming that the CO is aggressive and likely to push all in, you may be able to extract an additional 600 chips from the BB. Sure, you can bet now and take down the 475 pot with no risk, that's the safest approach. Or, take the risk I explained and potentially bump the pot up to 1525. If it fails the only obvious draw you are dodging is the spade, so the risk/reward ratio is pretty favorable IMO.

If the CO is a tight player who suffered early in the game to explain his 700 remaining chips at 25/50, then of course you bet. You need to have good reason to believe the short stack is about to push, otherwise, just play your cards and bet.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 AM

Bet 300-325...maybe 375 if BB/CO can't fold an A, or calls with draws. With 2 callers, i'd never be checking this flop, b/c if the money goes in on some bad turn cards, you're prob going to be behind. If you're going to get action, it's going to be on the flop.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the pot. Draw heavy board. Ace will give you action, you may get some draws to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't want draws to fold, we want draws to call without the proper odds to be doing so. A PSB accomplishes this, although I tend to not like to hit the pot button. This is a spot where I like to bet ~2/3 the pot, or slightly overbet the pot. Overbetting, IMO, is often taken as a weaker bet than 2/3-PSB. You might get someone holding an A or a FD to try and take the pot from you. But ~2/3 pot is my default.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people have such bad reading comprehension skills.

SOME draws. For example the ISD. A PSB still gives the FD good enough odds to call (they don't know we have trips) and makes the ISD a bad call. Ace still calls. If you want so much action, bet your weak 2/3, miss value and play 3 ways.

I'm also willing to bet a shove may get called here.

When the [censored] did a PSB become an overbet btw.... sigh.

Quite frankly... does it matter what it is whether 325 or 475... we're putting the CO AI and playing against the BB who has to have hit to conitnue.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Bet around 375
Old 11-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We don't want draws to fold, we want draws to call without the proper odds to be doing so. A PSB accomplishes this

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT!

He's not just spouting fnord people, this seems to be
something some of us forgot a long time ago! NL allows
you to set the "price" of any draws against you.

Of COURSE we want action, we just want that action to
benefit us over time, so make your opponents draw
without the proper odds.

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]