Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Why does Kaplan always freak out every time Antonio asks to see a card when he has a top pair?

An older HSP episode had Kaplan making the same complaint when Antonio had Queens. Nobody has to show their cards. I just don't get why Kaplan freaks out about it every time.

I am curious if Barry was offended when Antonio asked to see a card. Or did you just ignore it, like so much table talk.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM

I don't see how anybody can call his game gold.

Laliberte flops trip Js, Farha calls with Flushdraw, Farha makes Flush -> Overbets Pot, Laliberte thinks "(ZOMG JACKZ CAN'T BE BEATORIZED) I'll just call" and calls an overbet while obviously being 1:3.6 underdog (what can Farha have to overbet? Two-Pair? Buttom Set? lol) -> gets there and doesn't manage to extract more than 1 called turn bet on the river thus fails to extract any implied odds from Farha who managed to make a good fold.

So after the turn, he made a huge -EV against Farha.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does Kaplan always freak out every time Antonio asks to see a card when he has a top pair?

An older HSP episode had Kaplan making the same complaint when Antonio had Queens. Nobody has to show their cards. I just don't get why Kaplan freaks out about it every time.

I am curious if Barry was offended when Antonio asked to see a card. Or did you just ignore it, like so much table talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a RATHER large difference between top pair and top SET.

He's not laying that down. It's considered pretty unethical to ask to see one card. If its not a Spade/Jack/Ten he has the winning hand, and thus, can raise.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will Gold re-buy if he gets stacked? If he wants to be the world's best bluffer, I think he has to.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL that's gold man

Jamie is the living proof that WSOP ME shouldn't be changed in any way. Every once in a while we get a guy like Jamie
Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Laliberte flops trip Js, Farha calls with Flushdraw, Farha makes Flush -> Overbets Pot, Laliberte thinks "(ZOMG JACKZ CAN'T BE BEATORIZED) I'll just call" and calls an overbet while obviously being 1:3.6 underdog (what can Farha have to overbet? Two-Pair? Buttom Set? lol) -> gets there and doesn't manage to extract more than 1 called turn bet on the river thus fails to extract any implied odds from Farha who managed to make a good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sammy bet 80k on the river as I think he's expected to because I don't think there was any time when he didn't bet the river in a big pot when a scare card comes.
So if you're Guy and you call the 50k in position i'm pretty sure you can expect a bet from Sammy on almost any river.

Then what is he supposed to do, min raise? That's even more suspicious. I think he played it fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously going to cry over a bet that was 13k over the pot? Who the hell cares... These people are raising 20k before the flop into 2k. That's just there game.

He just calls because he KNOW's he can be beat. At what point in this session did you see Guy play a hand where he "thought" he was ahead and NOT bet / Raise. Even with a weak hand like AJ he reraises.

Get outa here... I dont care what player you are, or what hand you have... If Flop goes Check-Check-BetPot-Call-Fold. Then on the Turn First position raises the pot ( or slightly over it ) bell's start going off.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he hits the ace, then I think he goes with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ace exactly?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did i read it correctly?
People are saying that Laliberte played well?

Oh my god....

This guy is a great businessman and Cirque du Soleil is awesome, but he is a terrible poker player, that couldn't beat any online game.Not even Nl10.

He is a an overcard chaising never bluffing predictable T7o limping...well, i don't want to call him moron, because he is successfull in life and has more than 2+2 probably has combined...let's just call him poker moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how gabe keeps subtly making fun of him. "Guy with an.....ambitious call"
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he did read jamie correct for having a big hand, but to rule out the possibility that Jamie would play a set or two-pair, or whatever-strength hand he happens to have in this way, is wrong. I might be missing something, but why should their stack-sizes totally change the value of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

First look at two absurd cases where they have the same amount of money. The pot is some constant $40 000.

If they have $10 000 its an easy call for Doyle because Gold will move in with many hands, plus the pot means he only has to be right 1 time in 4 to make the call correct.

If they have $1 000 000 000 then Doyle probably wants to fold because the size of the pot is irrelevant. He basically needs to be better then Gold half the time.

So, the larger the stack sizes the more often you have to be right in making the call.

People keep saying how Gold bluffs a lot, blah blah, but don't forget he's not a complete retard. He knows how to play poker. If his money gets all in in this hand, there's a good chance he's got the best hand. In all honesty if Doyle had moved all in over the top of him I don't think Gold would have called. He definitely wouldn't call with smaller flushes(Edit: ie. 7 high flush or lower). This is precisely why Doyle couldn't really move all in, because he's only getting called by hands that crush him.

On the river Gold is actually liable to play it pretty well with a decent mix of bluffs and value bets with a good hand. If Doyle calls the turn he's put himself in a tough spot on the river when Gold bets it. If Gold checks the river Doyle can't really extract value because if he bets the river Gold is probably only calling with hands that beat Doyle and folding the rest. In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice analysis...but I think a lot of people are also forgetting that when Jamie actually has a hand on the river he tends to check! Not saying he would've done so here, but still...

Woulda been sick if Doyle called the turn and that slowed down Jamie, giving Doyle a chance to actually bet the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie MIGHT make a similar move with a bare Ace of spades, but I highly doubt it against Doyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would indeed be interesting with the "other ace of spades" already hitting the board on the turn. Fireworks!