Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 03:11 PM

Default PLO8 Need help with AA

I have been getting crushed lately playing AA in plo8. I try to get heads up but even when I do, the results have been bad. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: PLO8 Need help with AA

Don't go nuts with it unless you have a 2 or 3 to go along with it. Don't be afraid to limp in and try to flop a big full house. AA all by itself is not much to write home about in PLO8, especially if you are out of position.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:57 PM

most players get into trouble with it. it is a good hand to win blinds and small pots.
in big pots it doesnt do well unless the other two cards make you a low something and the aces skate in for the high half. or of course the few times you flop a monster and get a bad player to go along.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:48 PM

read annie dukes short article on AA. AA sucks in O8 period unless you have a 2 or 3 like the other guy already pointed out.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM

My PTO stats show that AAxx is a very powerful starting hand. Overall, AAxx wins at 1.41 BB/hand in my most recent full database, to be exact. For comparison's sake, all A2 hands lumped together yield 1.26 BB/hand. However, look a bit deeper and you can cull some more specific info about how important the xx is in AAxx.

AA with two high sidecards is not a very strong hand, better than breakeven but just slightly (0.24 BB/hand).
AA with one high sidecard and one low card is a fairly strong hand (1.29 BB/100).
AA with two low sidecards is an absolute powerhouse (2.32 BB/100).

Admittedly, these numbers are just one person's results. And winning with AAxx at all requires the right kind of aggression/discretion, as the cautionary posts Ray and others have made point out. But I would say the worst adjustment you could make would be to become afraid of the hand, because it is quite simply your biggest money-making PLO8 starting hand.

edit: deleted a mistake