Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: rogue mods again

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be discussing it with Ryan. I welcome pms on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have about 100 mods but virtually no tools in your software for monitoring their actions.

No amount of new admins is going to fix this fundamental problem. You've outgrown the security features of the current software and that is all there is to it.

The good news is the problems you have been experiencing are basically trivial. It's amazing when you think about it that you have managed to assemble a hundred strangers over the internet and the mischief they have been creating is so insignificant.

You guys really are a good group of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. It's a miracle the boards are this well run and have this few problems, really. I mean, let's put this in perspective - this is a board about an occupation that makes hundreds if not thousands of posters six, sometimes seven figures a year...and we have almost no really bad trolls/moderation is mostly smooth despite the fact that we can't even run freaking IP checks, and there's no one guy that can probably even name 50% of the mods offhand. Seriously, this board does more with less than anywhere else I've ever seen.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple quick notes,

1) A brief scan of the "who's online" listing for custom titles yielded about 35% custom titles with notes, 65% without. I'm sure some of my oldest titles are un-noted, and some of these are clearly old. However several of the notes included comments from other mods saying "Who gave this guy a custom title?" This is pretty sad. There really shouldn't be custom titles without a note on some guy with a page and a half of notes about what a [censored] poster he is. Personally I'm all for nuking such custom titles, especially if they are only a regular poster in your forum and you've had nothing but trouble from them. (I speak specifically of Snowball, a bbv regular.)

2) Man I hope Jeremy is OK.

3) If I could choose only one thing to change the power of the moderators, it would be that we would be able to perform "IP checks" for ourselves. I don't need the ability to do an IP ban, but it would be really nice to be able to figure out who trolls are, quickly, and not have to keep either a mental or physical list of IP addresses you've had trouble with previously. I find that dealing with people with 73 accounts is incredibly annoying, whether they are outright trolling or doing lesser garbage, it would be nice if the hundred of us could access this information without having to go through the 2 admins.

4) (3) said, if there were a way of making a handful of "mod pluses," who would have some admin like powers but not all, I think that would make things easier.

5) While I'm honored that someone said I would make a good admin, and think I would do a fine job, and think that at least one more person of the above mod level is necessary (2 bosses for 100+ mods?! there's just too much rote clerical stuff and such for that to make sense...), I couldn't do it if it was wanted of me. I just don't have the time these days. I would gladly help out as a "mod plus" or something, but I wouldn't be able to put in the hours I'd feel were required as an admin.

6) Mat, I'm glad you liked my previous post. I'm undecided if I really need to write up more than I put there to say what I think about stuff, but at some point I probably will.

7) Woo final exam completed, nap completed, Wii ordered, Job as researcher at the Becker Center offered, ship it.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

WRT to 3:

The only good thing in teh new software was that it appeared mods had this power.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM

I like citanul's mod plus idea. Citanul seems to know his stuff. I could also help there as I am technically proficient in some useful areas (web/javascript/databases/sql), and would be happy to get to grips with vBulletin when we move to it if it helps. But if you want just one, citanul is probably the best bet.

If you need one mod plus for more admin-like duties, I nom Mike Haven. He has a straight and uncondescending way with people, much like Ryan and Mat.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you need one mod plus for more admin-like duties, I nom Mike Haven. He has a straight and uncondescending way with people, much like Ryan and Mat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we could find a better choice for an additional admin than Mike! That is not to belittle the other candidates but I don't know them as well as Mike. I work with Mike on a a daily basis and converse with him at least weekly. He has a great common sense approach and a very effective way of 'coaching' mods to perform a better job.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Mike would be a good choice, as would Diablo, obviously.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], who keeps giving out custom titles like candy??

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

no mods notes of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
mods,

Who gave greg nice his custom title?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm trying to get anyone in trouble, but from the thread, a certain beedog takes credit.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

That thread is BBV gold though...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM

Performity,

Wow, that makes 2 custom titles given by Dcifr in 24 hours, to the same guy, without making a note either time. Impressive. I'm willing to assume all problems are Dcifr's fault if you guys are. Problem solved. Someone just chastise him or something.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 PM

did I start this this with my fire us all comment?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 AM

GM,

Don't worry, I will rehire you!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GM,

Don't worry, I will rehire you!

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, i think YOU started this in your reply to my 'fire us all' post.