Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Default 27: Stop and Go This or Just Fold?

Button seems reasonable. The only hand I played against him I raised to 3x from the button, declined to c-bet the rag flop and folded to a turn bet about 10 hands ago. I feel that this may give me some additional fold equity. I'm genuinely unsure whether I should stop and go this or just fold.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2429)
CO (t3833)
Button (t2555)
SB (t3343)
Hero (t1340)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t450

Flop: (t1275) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t740 (All-in)</font>
Old 04-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 27: Stop and Go This or Just Fold?

Him being the button, I think you are ahead of his range. i.e., I push.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 PM

I don't understand something....You are the small stack. The button made a play. You have a pretty good A T off. You only call the raise....The flop comes K Q small and now you go all in?? What did you see on this flop that you liked??? If you want to go all-in on that flop why aren't you all-in pre-flop??

It feels to me like you were strattling a fence. I feel like you should have been all-in p-f. Having chosen to only call, I think you now need to check and fold.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand something....You are the small stack. The button made a play. You have a pretty good A T off. You only call the raise....The flop comes K Q small and now you go all in?? What did you see on this flop that you liked??? If you want to go all-in on that flop why aren't you all-in pre-flop??

It feels to me like you were strattling a fence. I feel like you should have been all-in p-f. Having chosen to only call, I think you now need to check and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He chose a "stop and go", which requires him to call and push ANY flop. I still prefer a PF push though.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:39 PM

Push pre-flop.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:41 PM

I think the 2 relevant questions are how much has he been raising on button/in SB and why the over-sized raise? Has he typically been raising 4x rather than 3x? Depending on the player this could mean either, "I have a big hand," or "Please don't call."

Minus any other info, I don't think his raising range is wide enough to make pushing correct. You aren't in desparate shape. I think I find a fold.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM

Unless you know the raiser is pretty loose, I'd fold here, because I don't think you have any fold equity, since villain is getting nearly 3-1 on his call. A biggish raise like this is generally a sign saying that he's willing to get all-in with shorty. His range could include weaker aces, but by default I'd say it wouldn't. So I'd fold. A pre-flop push wouldn't be too bad, but I think just calling, even with the intent of a stop-and-go, is the worst option.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 PM

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 54.0230 % 50.10% 03.92% { ATo }
Hand 2: 45.9770 % 42.05% 03.92% { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, A2o+, KTo+, QJo }

Also, I don't think it's aces or kings given that 4X raise, but I included them anyway. Even with minimal or no fold equity, you're the small stack, it's still 5 handed, you'll only have 8BB after folding, and you're getting almost 1.4-1. Stop and go looks fine too, but I'd just push as I don't think you're getting much FE either way. $.02