Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Rules of Etiquette

Is there somewhere that has a list of poker etiquette rules? I have a weekly home game with some people that are not to familiar with some of these rules, so I'd like to get a list for everyone. I don't wanna look like an a-hole, but things like splashing the pot and talking about the cards on the board, whether they are in the pot or not really bug me.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Rules of Etiquette

1. One player per hand. No table talk about flops, etc. No card peeking.

2. Act in turn. Always.

3. Make sure your action is understood (raise, check).

4. Don't splash the pot.

5. Table (turn up) your winning hand immediately (i.e don't slow roll).

6. Don't try to get someone to fold their winning hand after all the action is over (i.e. don't miscall your hand in the hopes they will muck theirs).

7. If you can see someone else's cards give them a warning.

8. If a player makes an obvious betting error that doesn't affect any action behind him then give him a break.

9. When you all sit down set a time limit or a time when everyone wants to end it and let people know that you'd like them to give a certain amount of advance warning if they want to leave before that (i.e. if the game ends at 2am but they want to leave at 12 ask them to let everyone know by 11).
Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 AM

nice list...very complete
Old 02-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks. I think I should have used "e.g." instead of "i.e." though.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 PM

KC,

If you want to pm me your email I can send you a word doc I have for etiquette guidelines.

Pat
Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I think I should have used "e.g." instead of "i.e." though.

[/ QUOTE ]
help me out here, what's the difference between the two?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM

When you mean “for example,” use e.g. It is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase exempli gratia. When you mean “that is,” use “i.e.” It is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase id est. Either can be used to clarify a preceding statement, the first by example, the second by restating the idea more clearly or expanding upon it. Because these uses are so similar, the two abbreviations are easily confused. If you just stick with good old English “for example” and “that is” you won’t give anyone a chance to sneer at you. If you insist on using the abbreviation, perhaps “example given” will remind you to use “e.g.,” while “in effect” suggests “I.E.”

Since e.g. indicates a partial list, it is redundant to add “etc.” at the end of a list introduced by this abbreviation.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM

eg, ie, fu.

(it's a movie reference)

Anyway, I find what works for me is being a bit of a nit, but explaining why rules are the way they are. Save the explanations for after the hand, but explain why it's a rule and gear the explanation towards the person (e.g. if you had a flush and someone else didn't realize there was one out there, you wouldn't want someone else alterting them... or if you splash the pot we won't be able to tell how many chips you put in, which could end up being unfair to either you or the person who wins the pot). Don't talk down to them, maybe even seem sheepish about having to bring it up. Be understanding, just make it clear that you're trying to keep the game clean and fair and efficient so that everybody can have a good time. Perhaps suggest that you've seen some nastiness resulting from some of the rule violations and you don't want to see that happen.

Tailor it to suit your personality, of course, but I find the above has generally worked for me. By and large people will respect you as it's your game. Most of them even want someone to step up and take charge. Don't be afraid to do it.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you mean “for example,” use e.g. It is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase exempli gratia. When you mean “that is,” use “i.e.” It is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase id est. Either can be used to clarify a preceding statement, the first by example, the second by restating the idea more clearly or expanding upon it. Because these uses are so similar, the two abbreviations are easily confused. If you just stick with good old English “for example” and “that is” you won’t give anyone a chance to sneer at you. If you insist on using the abbreviation, perhaps “example given” will remind you to use “e.g.,” while “in effect” suggests “I.E.”

Since e.g. indicates a partial list, it is redundant to add “etc.” at the end of a list introduced by this abbreviation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. When I went back and looked at my post a few hours later I realized that it didn't seem right.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 PM

Thank you small fry