Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Champions League Draw

[ QUOTE ]

Group F:MANCHESTER UNITED/Celtic/Benefica/FC Copenhagen

[/ QUOTE ]

well, we should win this group, but I also thought that last year too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, we should win this group, but I also thought that last year too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<------ Benfica fan

hi there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeding is based on how a team has done in the past 5 years. Chelsea only got bought and revitalized by Abromovich 3 years ago so the 2 years before that were pretty much worthless and count against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. IMO five years is too long of a time period, but that's just me.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given Man U's strong start and Chelsea's blah beginning what do people think about the EPL this year?

Man, with all the transfers it's so hard to get a sense of how good the big teams are going to be until well into the first half of the season.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given Man U's strong start and Chelsea's blah beginning what do people think about the EPL this year?

Man, with all the transfers it's so hard to get a sense of how good the big teams are going to be until well into the first half of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 3 weeks, we get Arsenal/Man U and Chelsea/Liverpool the same weekend, so we should get some idea of how the big teams are doing by then.

Chelsea is definitely blah, but they have still won 2 games. Arsenal has actually looked better than Chelsea, except they can't finish, which is why they are 0-1-1. Man U is looking scary good, even without Rooney. It may be "too early" in the season, but last year, Chelsea had a 9 point lead after 8 games. Man U could be headed to the same kind of start.

I guess it's too early to be excited about any team though. Portsmouth, a team that finished 16th and 17th the last two seasons, not only hasn't allowed a goal the entire season (the only team to be able to claim this), they've scored more goals than any team besides Man U. Thing is, they've only played Blackburn, Man City (whom they tied), and Middlesborough, not exactly powerhouse teams.

EDIT: Should also mention that we have a separate thread just for the EPL.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 3 weeks, we get Arsenal/Man U and Chelsea/Liverpool the same weekend, so we should get some idea of how the big teams are doing by then.

Chelsea is definitely blah, but they have still won 2 games. Arsenal has actually looked better than Chelsea, except they can't finish, which is why they are 0-1-1. Man U is looking scary good, even without Rooney. It may be "too early" in the season, but last year, Chelsea had a 9 point lead after 8 games. Man U could be headed to the same kind of start.

I guess it's too early to be excited about any team though. Portsmouth, a team that finished 16th and 17th the last two seasons, not only hasn't allowed a goal the entire season (the only team to be able to claim this), they've scored more goals than any team besides Man U. Thing is, they've only played Blackburn, Man City (whom they tied), and Middlesborough, not exactly powerhouse teams.

EDIT: Should also mention that we have a separate thread just for the EPL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Portsmouth seems to have a ton of money to spend for such a small team, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a lot better this year, even after losing D'Alessandro.