Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Gigabet\'s Dilemma on stack sizes blocks and a request to top players

I went thru posts here clean back to 2004 when Gigabet said he wasnt even going to post here anymore because someone couldnt understand his kj allin preflop call of 800 when sitting on 2500 chips. This was before his posts recently of stack sizes (blocks). Back then he got flamed for the call, and in defending himself I think became upset with the many posters lack of understanding of why the -ev call was in his theory correct. I am posting today to make sure I have comprehended his theory correctly. The following is an example of what I think he is saying. Please let me know if this correct.

When below or at the average line of stack sizes and nearing extinction, negative ev calls are incorrect because once your to zero you are done. However, when you stack is above the avg block line, calls that will not put you below the line can be made in negative ev situations. In other words, if the average is 2k and you have 4k then any 2k calls are acceptable. One of my questions is where does the point of how much negative ev can you take at this time. 60-40? 80-20?. The second question is am I understanding this theory correctly in a very simple example.

It would be great to read more posts from gigabet on theory and game play in tournaments. Most of the hands posted here are hands that went all the way thru and only a glimpse of the whole scenario.

I would love to see as I think sheets did one time a complete single table hand history that he won summary (a multi would be even nicer) Not just from him but any top player here. A short summary as to why each hand was played the way it was (thought process) and what factors did you base your decision on included.

Although I have done well in some tournaments, I never quite feel as comfortable as in ring games. Although online poker is not new to me (started 1999), I continue to strive for excellence in tournament poker as to where I am now, second guessing my decisions even after years of experience. Maybe it is because in a ring game a mistake or a turn of the card only brings a rebuy, whereas in a tournament your done.