Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ___
Baylor 0 0%
Washington State (in Seattle) 8 100.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: How Big Of A Life Nit Am I? (Cell phones on trains)

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't get why people think it is such a big deal that people talk on the train. You're reading a paper, not preforming brain surgery or recording an album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Seems kind of nuts to me to think someone owes you silence on the train. The only things I can see them owing you are a reasonable volume and not using any curse words or talking about things you could reasonably assume would offend a lot of people -- like saying racist crap, or particularly derogatory political or religious comments, or talking graphically or at length about sex, or toilet humor.

Guids has a good point that sometimes you have to use your time where you can find it too.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't get why people think it is such a big deal that people talk on the train. You're reading a paper, not preforming brain surgery or recording an album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Seems kind of nuts to me to think someone owes you silence on the train. The only things I can see them owing you are a reasonable volume and not using any curse words or talking about things you could reasonably assume would offend a lot of people -- like saying racist crap, or particularly derogatory political or religious comments, or talking graphically or at length about sex, or toilet humor.

Guids has a good point that sometimes you have to use your time where you can find it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Tolerating minor conversation ought to be standard.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's extremely rude and low class, but I think 99% of people are rude and low class so I don't really get upset about it. It's like people eating popcorn at a serious/quiet movie - total douche move, but if you get upset about it you're just going to be miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]

People eating popcorn at the movie theater doesn't bother me in the slightest. It comes under things so natural to the environment they're absolutely to be expected, so no harm no foul. But if someone is rattling their jujubees around in their box or slurping their coke noisily or does that kind of hideous eating where you gasp and huff and puff, that's uncool. It's courteous to minimize the noise.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM

You must not take New Jersey Transit. I ride the train 3 hrs R/T every day into Penn Station and cell phone talkers are the bain of my existence. I would say 9 out of 10 cell phone users speak in such a manner that you can usually hear their entire conversation throughout the car. Not to mention I take the 6:28a train and when you are trying to sleep or just chill out, having a cell phone loudmouth kind of ruins the peace and quite most commuters crave in the morning. If I could drive to work I would, but working in New York City its not an option.

I'd readily sign up for this for the extra $3k a year if they had it on my train.

Club Car

Bose noise cancelling headphones and ipod have been my savior.

It you want to read about some of the [censored] I commute with on NJT click below.

Transit Hell
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

Not quite rude but certainly not courteous. The world would be a better place if people were polite enough to be courteous.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not quite rude but certainly not courteous. The world would be a better place if people were polite enough to be courteous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking in a public environment is not discourteous, unless it's during a show or something. Shouting, sure.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking in a public environment is not discourteous, unless it's during a show or something. Shouting, sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience trains have near silence aside from people not on phones. Unless people are deliberately trying to speak softly, speaking at normal "outdoor" volume as described by the OP is jarring.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like people eating popcorn at a serious/quiet movie - total douche move

[/ QUOTE ]

woah woah woah can we make a thread about this instead? how can someone eat popcorn possibly bother you?

are you talking about a girl you take to the movie? or are you talking about joe blow 3 rows away?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 PM

If by that you mean shouting, then I've already agreed.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:34 PM

Doesn't the train have quiet cars? If so, this makes you even more of a nit than your OP suggests (which is only mildly nittish).