Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Default expert

wicked awesome 10/20 game. Villain is the only one who seems to look at his cards before the flop

I open 99 and he defends in BB.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He check/calls

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He check/calls. I get the sense he's just going to showdown a marginal hand here, expecting like A3 or something silly.

River 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he check/raises, I insta-3bet and he insta caps. I toss it into the muck.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: expert

Just call the checkraise. It's a deuce. You put him on 92 or something?

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 AM

yeah that's what i did. i went for the lolo trick you and post 1 wins. I was expecting several "i don't fold" posts followed by miles' "you didn't fold this"

gg dd
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 AM

awesome...
i dont 3 bet this River btw

If by expert you mean retarded then yes your river play is expert. When people check/raise the river on a blank flush card it usually means a flush. This is true whether its a backdoor flush or conventional flush. So all you have on the river is a crying call. Make that call and be happy if you win.

yeah it's a 2. It should pretty much always be hearts.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM

I think your beat here just about every time but as I think you know already just calling would have been optimal.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:27 PM

I see what you are trying to do here with the 3-bet, you are basically assuming that he will only cap with a flush or a straight, and that he will call you down with inferior hands, and that he will have inferior hands significantly more often than he will have a flush or straight. However, these assumptions put together are not easy to justify, and just on general principle if nothing else, I think it is not worth putting yourself in a position to have to fold on the river just to make a play that is only slightly +EV in theory even if your assumptions are true. I would never fold a hand on the river that I felt had showdown value. Best is just to call instad of 3-betting. Also, by doing stuff like 3-betting and folding, you are just asking to get raise-bluffed more often, which is what you don't want. If people see you are capable of folding a hand to a raise for just one more bet, they're going to steal pot after pot from you, and you are eventually going to have to start calling them down even when you "know" you're beat. It's best to just avoid these situations by calling the checkraise on the river. Sometimes I call a guy down on the river even if it puts an ugly card there and I am almost certainly beat, because it will dissuade him from trying to make multi-barrell bluffs in the future, and make him more predictable.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Do any of you actually count how often your "crying calls" win? It's not hard - bit of paper and a pen, and tick marks. Count them. I recommend keeping track similarly of your bluffs.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:08 PM

5 bet river