Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Older posters - are you content with how your life turned out so f

I turned 47 today.

University, teaching degree, married for 10 years (no kids), divorce, much younger girlfriend for a few years (great sex and coke from time to time), Korea for a year, discovered poker 3 years ago, now work from home and play poker.

Two summers ago (I'm obviously a slow learner) I came to the conclusion that our existance on this planet is basically meaningless.

Now I look at people on the street and just mostly think that they are brainwashed into making money, having nice cars and houses, believing in god, and generally feeling that they are on earth for some "reason" Why can't people accept the fact that each of us is just the winner of some random lottery?

So what does my future hold? I'm in the process of losing 40 pounds and getting some money together. At that point it's sex, drugs, alcohol as long as my money and health hold out. That might only be 3 months. LOL

The whole "god" thing is starting to annoy me more and more each day. How ca a sane human being in 2006 not believe in the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, or Santa Claus, yet believe in "god" because of a book written by people over 2000 years ago that were basically clueless and ignorant. People, get your heads out of your asses.

Maybe I'm feeling like this because I haven't been laid in a while.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM

This is actually something I have thought about quite a bit. For reference, I am 32 and firmly middle class. I just took a job an hour away for basically the same pay to have an opportunity to do something other than the grind.

I think part of our generation's problem is the upbringing we received. Most children today are brought up with the idea that they are special from our parent's actions and words of love. Not that is all a bad thing, but when you become part of the larger world after college and are working all week in a cubicle - you come to realize that maybe you aren't so special after all. In addition, our generation has had it really well financially without a great defining war or depression. We have it good, but fail to realize it. Part of the issue is our lack of spirituality. In some ways, you need a god. Before I get flamed too much, I am not a religious person.

To further trumpet an earlier poster, we live in a materialistic society where wealth=happiness. This is far from true. Read "The Overspent American" and your eyes will start to open.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I turned 47 today.

University, teaching degree, married for 10 years (no kids), divorce, much younger girlfriend for a few years (great sex and coke from time to time), Korea for a year, discovered poker 3 years ago, now work from home and play poker.

Two summers ago (I'm obviously a slow learner) I came to the conclusion that our existance on this planet is basically meaningless.

Now I look at people on the street and just mostly think that they are brainwashed into making money, having nice cars and houses, believing in god, and generally feeling that they are on earth for some "reason" Why can't people accept the fact that each of us is just the winner of some random lottery?

So what does my future hold? I'm in the process of losing 40 pounds and getting some money together. At that point it's sex, drugs, alcohol as long as my money and health hold out. That might only be 3 months. LOL

The whole "god" thing is starting to annoy me more and more each day. How ca a sane human being in 2006 not believe in the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, or Santa Claus, yet believe in "god" because of a book written by people over 2000 years ago that were basically clueless and ignorant. People, get your heads out of your asses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, ding ding ding ding.

You sir, have won the most depressing post in this thread award.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

I would prefer to call it "realism", but you could be right.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- in horrible shape physically, working on fixing that, going slow, etc, you all know the story by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

New thread necessary.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 PM

skunkworks,

You are right I should have never changed that avatar! It is back now. I liked this other jb one cuz it was kind of calming and I want to fly. lol

Thanks for the kind words. I like your avatar also see something as simple as a silly hat made that smilie in your avatar appear super happy to me. We should all just put on a silly hat and see if it works.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 PM

I'm extremely content with where I am now. I was accepted into an accelerated med program out of high school, which meant 2 years in college, then entry to Jefferson medical school. No applying to med schools or anything, already accepted.

I mostly did it because thats what I was expected to do; I was interested but never really thought of other things.

2 years into it I was completely sick and tired of it despite getting good enough grades to stay in the program and move on. I put off med school a year and decided to see if I really wanted to do it.

I had been playing poker since my freshman year, and by my sophmore year, I was getting pretty serious about it. My junior year, I went through a tough breakup with my gf of 2 years and was pretty depressed. To get out of it, I just threw myself into poker and played everynight for 6-8 hours live.

By the end of that semester, I was doing well financially and realized that poker was the one thing that I was very very good at, and more importantly, was passionate about. Halfway through my junior year, I came out to Vegas to start/continue my career.

It's been almost a year and I've had some lows and highs but everyday I look forward to playing. It's a grind at times, but one that I get pumped up for. I truly believe that the only way you can be successful at your job or vocation is if you are passionate about it.

I'm not saying go pro or anything like that; many people do not want that type of lifestyle. I would keep your small projects in mind; don't let them waste away. Worst case scenario, go back to school and get a degree in something you're crazy about. It's the only way you'll be happy in life.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling ya man, it's the real secret.

Ray
Old 09-11-2006, 05:44 PM

The problem is that however "good" your life is, being 30+ is intrinsicaly [censored] compared to being 18-29.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Wow this thread is sad.

I just turned 30.

I love the 8-5 office schedule. I could never go back to working anything else, like nights and weekends when I was in college.

I think the "do what you love" thing is a little overrated. My job is fine. It pays decent, and requires me to problem-solve a fair amount. I don't "love" it. But the people I work with are fun, and I get a ton of vacation time.

The fun times in my life are playing with my daughter, watching movies with my wife, playing softball every Wednesday with the same guys for 10 years, getting together with a bunch of friends at someone's house and drinking and playing cards.

I'd love to have more money to travel and buy a nicer car, but my life is pretty nice. If I was single I could play more poker and make some more spending money, but I'm not complaining.