Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: What should an NL HU book contain?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post12068925

Try this link. My opinion is stated pretty clearly.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=2#Post12068925

Try this link. My opinion is stated pretty clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try the hu forums here, there are plenty of excellent players and coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad advice. They do not like questions like the OPs in that forum. Either post a hand or don't post.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM

I do hope that who ever writes this book will ask some of the top players here to review it. This has been a common complaint about the books that are coming out. Rather, that many of the new books are incomplete or inaccurate.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a tragedy it would be if this book was made and concentrated on beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree. There would need to be enough to make it accessible to beginners, because there are a lot of people out there who don't even know the basics, but it would be a real loss if it stopped there.

[ QUOTE ]
I think ther should be separate chapters for villain types, since there is so much to discuss and those adjustments are really the heart of HU cash play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And HU tournament play! It's just that the adjustments would be really, really different between the two formats.

[ QUOTE ]
In my case I am very good against every type of player except LAGs, whether they be good or bad LAGs, and so a chapter dealing with those adjustments would be amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I reckon everyone has a type of player they HATE playing against, and would love to know what sort of adjustments to make.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe also a chapter on tilt, since it is such a big part of HU play, both in managing your own tilt and in detecting and taking advantage of it in your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly true that HU has a much more substantial mental element than any other game, and that would need to be covered.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would divide the book into two parts : sng's and cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely - the two are completely different beasts. So different you probably need a separate book for each!

[ QUOTE ]
Before we decide to venture in one of the two games , we must have to analyze our preflop decisions . So clearly , I would get into all sorts of pre-flop recommendations for various opponents . I would address some of these concerns for different player types .

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point - I think your preflop strategy is very different depending on who you are playing and what format you are playing.

[ QUOTE ]
The list goes on and on ....

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's the problem with writing an HU book! There's just so much to cover, and so much detail you could go into...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

GL with your book, but I really think that good HU book can't be written. HU is kind of an art and if you didn't play full ring ot 6max before you decided to play HU, you will be lost. It is not like other books where you have preflop strategy charts, concepts and whatever. You really have to rely on your feel and basic knowledge about poker. It is just too complicated. I believe that full ring and 6 max can actually be learned by following some guidelines and by following these guidelines you will make a profit. This is the difference beetween HU and FR or 6max. If you follow guidelines in HU, you are destined to go broke.

But I might be so wrong. GL with your book.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I never said I was writing a book!

I happen to disagree, though - I think you can learn how to be a good HU player. Just not from charts and guidelines - you have to learn how to think.

I do agree that HU should not be your first poker game - you need to learn the fundamentals of the game in FR or 6max, and then bring and adapt that knowledge when you come to HU. That's why it's harder to write an HU book for beginners, and even harder to write one for beginnners and advanced players.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Of course you can learn how to think like a good HU player, but it is so situational specific that anything else than posting and reading this forum (and playing other games before) is the only way to do it.