Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 AM

Default How often do you meet an Indian Chief that was tried for murder?

Before you read any further, let me get it out there:
[]This thread has pics
So all of you read-o-phobes can leave now. Buh bye.
Also, most of this post is just about my trip to the Aerosmith concert last weekend. The Indian Chief doesn't show up until the end.

Just this last weekend there was an Aerosmith concert in PEI. I only live 3 hours away, and have basically been listening to Aerosmith since I was a fetus so I got a ticket as soon as they went on sale and started trying to get some other people to go. I talk to this girl I hang out with a lot and she's super excited about going, but the only other people that want to go are two guys that are super whipped by their girlfriends and aren't [censored] allowed to do anything.

So the day finally comes, I pack up all my [censored] at about 7am and leave to go pick this girl up at her place. But just as I'm about 5 minutes away from her house, I stop to let a couple of old women cross the street and I get rear ended by some [censored] toad in a jeep that had been tailgating me the whole way. The whole bumper was caved in, the wheel wells were scraping against the tires and the frame was bent so that the back doors wouldn't close. So obviously I couldn't drive it to the concert. I had borrowed the car from my parents for the road trip, and it's been 6 years since driver training, when I was actually told what to do when you get in an accident, so I have no [censored] clue. I call my parents since it's their car and they drive down in their other one. Meanwhile I get the guy's name and insurance card, and take down the info of a couple of witnesses. I try to keep the guy there while I wait for my parents to drive down, but he decides to take off, saying he called the police and they wanted him to come down and give him a report. I call [censored] but there's nothing I can do to keep him there and he takes off (and never filed the report either). My parents finally get there, we call the cops, the insurance company and the tow truck, and have it hauled off to the body shop, but now I have no way to get to the concert and we have to spend half the day going to the police station and talking to the insurance company and [censored].

So while all this is going on, I call a friend of mine that was going up to the island for a bachelor party on the same day to see if he had left yet. I couldn't get ahold of him, so I only had two options left: don't go to the concert, or get a drive with my parents (who were also going and who I had hoped to avoid as much as possible). I would have just stayed home and avoided the embarrasment, but I didn't want to have to call the girl I was going with and tell her she was SOL and had just wasted $75 on the ticket.

So I ask them for a ride, and after everything gets figured out, we finally get on the road at about 2PM, about an hour after the first opening act started. The drive up wasn't as embarrasing as I thought it would be, and we pretty much didn't run into them at the concert at all so it ended up working out nicely, as we wouldn't have to spend $100 for gas and the bridge toll.

So we get to the concert, split up from my parents and go to the beer tent for a few beers before trying to get up close to the stage. We had gotten there just as Cheap Trick started playing, the last band to play before Aerosmith came on. So we push our way through the crowd, and actually manage to get within about 5 yards of the catwalk and about 10 yards from the main stage, which was pretty [censored] cool. On the way, we ran into this gigantic drunk asshat that was actively trying to keep us from pushing further in, and just generally being an [censored]; a couple of 12 year old kids that were so short they couldn't have seen anything but the back of the person in front of them, and some crazy woman that said we should look after them and make sure they don't get into trouble. We ignored her and kept going, and ran into this ugly old wrinkly biker chick that looked like she spent half of her life in a tanning bed and that at one point squatted down and pissed right there in the middle of all of those people. We got away from her as fast as we could. Overall, most of the people there were relatively nice though. There were something like 35000 people.

So Aerosmith comes on at around 9:30, they open with "Love in an Elevator", which is my favourite Aerosmith song, and they put on an awesome show - except for the two [censored] songs they played from Honkin On Bobo. And I was a little pissed off that they didn't play Janie's Got A Gun, because that has to be one of their best known songs. But it was still awesome to be that close to Aerosmith, playing live.

The concert ends at around 11:30 and we decide to go downtown for some drinks. Charlottetown is pretty small, so pretty much everything is in walking distance, but I've never been there before so we just kind of follow the crowds and end up going in a couple of circles before finding a place everyone kept mentioning called Pique's Quay.

So we grab a table on the deck outside, and we decide to each pay for a pitcher. I go to get one and when I get back there's this old guy talking to the girl I came there with. I sit down with the pitcher and the guy stays there, and keeps talking, telling us he's the chief of a native reserve in New Brunswick just outside of Miramichi. When we finish our first pitcher he buys us another one, and I start talking to him about poker. Turns out he's a donkey and he knows it, but he has plenty of money to throw away. He kept telling me how much he hated it when the people there kept berating him for bad plays though, and would usually leave a table when people started doing that. So let that be a lesson to all of you idiots that berate the fish. Anyway, he ends up buying us another round, and the girl I'm with starts saying she's hungry and wants to go somewhere to get some food. The chief suggests this chinese place just around the corner so we go there.

We get to the chinese place easily enough, and we end up ordering about twice as much food as we can actually eat, and the chief ends up paying for the whole meal, which was about $100. He keeps hitting on this vietnamese waitress and at one point asks her if he can guess her age. He says 26 and it turns out she's 23. Oops!

In the same restauraunt sitting across from us was a group of people we met at the concert, and behind them was another group of people we briefly met at the bar, and my friend that had come up there for the bachelor party. A couple of days earlier he told me he might need a ride back from the island and I told him of course, since it would make the gas and bridge a lot cheaper. But after the accident I never got ahold of him so he had no way of knowing I couldn't drive him back. So I told him and it turned out he ended up not needing it anyway, and everything was good.

So we leave the bar and decide to go back to the hotel, and we finally get the idea to ask this indian chief what his name is. He tells us it's Noah Augustine and tells us we should come by his reserve to check out this new museum he's having built, with an IMAX theatre and everything, and he gives us his msn address. He offers us a drive back to the hotel, but there's no way we're getting into a car with someone that's been drinking that much, so we decide to walk. We end up walking for about 2 hours, getting lost in some residential area, and finally end up calling a cab, and getting back to the hotel around 5AM.

On Sunday, the trip back is uneventful, and I crash when I finally get home, but I wake up at about midnight and see a message from my friend with a couple of links and a WTF??? Turns out the guy was on trial for murder about 7 years back, but was found not guilty. He had admitted to killing the guy, but apparently it was in self-defence.

links:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/1999/...ict990430.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/nativene.../msg02411.html
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=M1ARTM0011778

So... to summarize:

Brag: I got to go see Aerosmith
Beat: I got rear ended on the way
Beat: I ended up needing a drive from my parents
Brag: I didn't see them at the concert at all anyway
Brag: I was able to get about 15 feet from the catwalk
Brag: Free drinks and free $100 chinese meal after the concert
Variance: Drinks and Chinese Meal bought by an Indian Chief that killed a guy, apparently in "self defence"
Old 07-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How often do you meet an Indian Chief that was tried for murder?

wow if there was ever one time to type

TLDR

this would be it
Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[]This thread has pics

[/ QUOTE ][x] op sounds like a tool
[x] tldr
[x] op really sounds like a tool

edit:
[x] omg he went to a concert with his parents. no seriously.
[x] op is in junior high
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM

To long? I didn't not read,
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Maybe you should pick a subject that is actually the subject of your post?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM

not often
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[]This thread has pics

[/ QUOTE ][x] op sounds like a tool
[x] tldr
[x] op really sounds like a tool

edit:
[x] omg he went to a concert with his parents. no seriously.
[x] op is in junior high

[/ QUOTE ]
lol more like I went to the city with my parents, because like I just finished explaining, I was [censored] rear ended that morning. And seriously, I wouldn't have even gone, but I wasn't about to tell this girl that sorry I wasn't going to take her to the concert when I still had a way to get there. Believe me, if I had any other option I wouldn't have gotten a drive with them, but [censored], it saved us $100 and made life a million times easier, and we didn't even see them between getting to charlottetown and leaving the city.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should pick a subject that is actually the subject of your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was originally just going to write about meeting the guy, but then figured I might as well explain everything that led up to that. Oh well. So I get razzed today for making a long, boring post that nobody wants to read, everyone forgets about it tommorow.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the way, we ran into this gigantic drunk asshat that was actively trying to keep us from pushing further in

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really. LOL @ [censored] who think that just because they got there way before you they shouldn't automatically surrender their spot to the almighty OP.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Aerosmith comes on at around 9:30

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
and they put on an awesome show

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
and pissed right there in the middle of all of those people.

[/ QUOTE ]