Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Razz-caution or coward?

IMO, bet the river in the 2nd hand.

Almost certainly, he did not have a made 7-5 on 6th street. If he had 7-4-3-2 (or better) on 4th street, that's pretty much an automatic bet even against scary two-card boards. (Even if he's reraised, he's not that far behind, and 5s and 6s are very live.)

Maybe he had a made 7-6 on 6th street; checking 7-6-4-3 on 4th street might be reasonable looking at those boards. But if he had that, or a worse hand, you're good unless he rivered the win.

He's almost never going for a check/raise on the river. You check/called 6th street; the chance that you actually bet the river is pretty small.

Bet/call the river after he checks to you. If he does check raise, he's doing it with a smooth 8 or a 7-6 or with total air often enough to call him.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, bet the river in the 2nd hand. ....
Bet/call the river after he checks to you. If he does check raise, he's doing it with a smooth 8 or a 7-6 or with total air often enough to call him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. And would you raise the river on the first hand?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. And would you raise the river on the first hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

At these stake levels, and against a player with no history, probably yes. He'll pay a buck to look you up often enough to make up for the times when you're beat.

But your hand is pretty much an open book, so you need to be careful against a known good player. He could be planning a C/R on the river -- one big difference between this hand and the other is that in this hand you were the last aggressor before the river, so if he outdrew you, going for a check/raise would make a lot of sense.

So basically, this first hand I'd play situationally. Against an opponent who I know to be good, or in a tourney situation, I probably check behind. The lower the stakes, or the more unknown the opponent is, the more likely that I bet the river.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But your hand is pretty much an open book, so you need to be careful against a known good player. He could be planning a C/R on the river -- one big difference between this hand and the other is that in this hand you were the last aggressor before the river, so if he outdrew you, going for a check/raise would make a lot of sense.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, this was my thinking at the time. I was hoping to improve my hand even more, but not doing that, I just checked behind. I think since I am underbankrolled for even .5/1 at this point, I am going to err on the side of caution and decide that's ok for awhile as long as I don't get comatose.