Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Can I get my daily iron intake by licking a nail?

Assuming the nail was iron, and neglecting the amount of iron obtained by a single lick, etc, is it theoretically possible?

If I were to eat iron filings, would the fact that the iron isn't in an organic molecule form matter? Does it need to be, as it is in red meat, etc?

I'm not intending to do this - just a random thought [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ringo
Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Can I get my daily iron intake by licking a nail?

No, iron has to be in a particular form (specifically Fe2+) for it to be useful in your diet.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM

I've heard that you can soak a nail in water and lemon juice, and then drink the fluid. A doctor working in El Salvador, Charlie Clements or something, used this method.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Maybe if the nail were covered with molasses.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that you can soak a nail in water and lemon juice, and then drink the fluid. A doctor working in El Salvador, Charlie Clements or something, used this method.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the OP asked the question, and this is a science forum (as a break from religion/phi posts), then I think the OP should use the scientific method to verify that hypothesis and report back to us.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Long ago, when Oklahoma Charlie cooked food for the round up in cast iron skillets the cowboys received their daily dose of iron. Have you ever seen a cowboy who was anemic?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long ago, when Oklahoma Charlie cooked food for the round up in cast iron skillets the cowboys received their daily dose of iron. Have you ever seen a cowboy who was anemic?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It probably helped that he was grilling up meat.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 PM

i remember there was an episode of mr. wizard a long time ago where he took bran flakes, added some water, mashed them up in a blender, then put the concoction into some kind of thing with a spinning magnet.. then pulled the magnet out and it had all these iron filings on it, basically from the bran.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting The Iron You Need

Keeping iron in your nutrition is very important in everyday life. Most of the American working populations go about their day eating breakfast, lunch and dinner without a thought to what they are eating, or lacking; but more to what they want to eat that is convenient and instant.

Carbohydrates, Calories and Fat are what everyone’s vision is first directed to on the back of food labels. But one of the major minerals that Americans lack in their food rituals is iron. This is where good, old-fashioned cast iron comes in handy.
Get Your Daily Iron Through Cast Iron Cooking.

Recommended by doctors, cast iron skillets have been suggested for use by individuals who are anemic (or borderline anemic) as well as other individuals. Iron is added to their food when cooked on a cast iron skillet. Studies conducted in 1986 by the Journal of the American Dietetic Association indicated that up to twenty foods were tested after being cooked on cast iron skillets. [These studies show that a larger amount of iron was added to all the foods.] A great way to ensure iron in your routine, cast iron pans are a significant addition to your kitchen and is a fun and tasty way to jazz up your cooking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to be careful with iron for the body doesn't easily rid itself of too much and the iron will settle in tissues . The symptoms are multiple and can lead to severe toxicity including death.