Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 AM

Default HD Service Worth it?

I'm going to get Direct TV and I can get HD service for another ~$10 per month (I already own an HD-ready TV). I am getting the HD receiver for free as part of a promotional offer.

At Best Buy, Fry's, etc... they compare HD with 'regular' TV and I can definitely see the difference. However, I don't know if I would be missing the improved quality with only 'regular' TV.

For those who get HD service, has it been worth it for you? Is it worth ~$120 per year? When you go to a friend's house and see 'regular' TV, does it look like crap?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: HD Service Worth it?

It's a little cheaper here but it's through the cable company. I would say it is definitely worth it. Especially if you are a sports fan. And yes after watching something in HD it looks terrible on a normal TV IMO.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 AM

I would say it is definetly worth it and the bigger your TV the more worth it it is.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a little cheaper here but it's through the cable company. I would say it is definitely worth it. Especially if you are a sports fan. And yes after watching something in HD it looks terrible on a normal TV IMO.

[/ QUOTE ] QFT, I hate that. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

But anyway, as long as you can afford the extra $10 per month(which I'm assuming you could), then definitely get it.

By the way, for your "when you go to a friends house..." question: Well, my HD goes through a cable company, not direct tv so I'm not sure if it'd be different for you or not. But for me, I have ~400ish regular channels, and then 50-60ish HD channels. So basically, if you go to the regular ESPN channel, then to the ESPN HD channel you will definitely be able to notice a difference.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM

It is definetly worth it. The difference between the non-HD and HD channels is very large in terms of both picture quality and sound.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 AM

If you have a large-ish HDTV and aren't watching a lot of HD content through it, you totally wasted your money on the TV.

HD vs SD is pretty much night and day on a large HDTV.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a large-ish HDTV and aren't watching a lot of HD content through it, you totally wasted your money on the TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Why get the sick TV if you aren't going to watch HD programming? Also, baseball in HD FTW. No sport translates better into HD IMO.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 AM

theres no reason not to have the HD service, I have the direct tv HD service - only issue with it is in my local area, CBS HD isn't available through direct tv, so we missed the Superbowl in HD, the NCAA tournament and the Masters in HD. Direct tv claims to be expanding their HD line up soon too, to over 150 HD channels- I guess we have to continue to wait for that.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM

I consider myself an HD Snob. I dont watch much unless it is in HD because the picture is so much better. HD is amazing.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself an HD Snob. I dont watch much unless it is in HD because the picture is so much better. HD is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first got my HDTV I was so enthralled by it that I watched "John Daly vs. Niagara Falls", which was a show an hour long show of John Daly attempting to hit a golf ball over Niagara Falls. My favorite show on the HD-only channels (besides the obvious everything on Discovery HD Theater) is "Three Sheets" on INHD's Mojo block, that [censored] is funny.