Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: ELKY

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=26063

This article is from April 13, last year. It's about Boxer having just signing a new contract which gives him the highest annual salary $180,000USD + a possible $80,000 bonus based on performance. Article says the previous highest was NaDa at $200,000USD (technically his was the highest since there was no extra money which depended on performance?). Mentions some other Korean progamers in there with salaries over $100,000USD.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true. some teams have budgets over 1 million thru sponsorships with some of the biggest companies in korea such as samsung, hyundae...etc, when you watch these player play, they look like race car drivers with all the sponsor stickers on their clothing.
for every 1 top salaried players, there are 1000 struggling progamers. just like anything.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:48 AM

So basically, depending on who you ask in this thread we know that:

1. Elky made a lot of $ playing Starcraft
2. Elky didn't make a lot fo $ playing starcraft
3. elky is good at poker
4. Elky sucks at poker

Great thread.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM

no... he may have made a lot of money playing starcraft, but starcraft doesnt have characters that you can build and sell. starcraft is a game of skill. if he made money at it, it was either through sponsorship or through beating other players.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone saying he was so "great" at starcraft? Sure, he was good enough to move to korea and go pro, but from what I remember he really could not compete with the top korean professionals. He never won any of the major starcraft competitions in Korea. I really doubt he made more than 100K-200K lifetime playing starcraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying Elky was "great" at anything, my post was in response to the guy above me that said Boxer was probably the only one that made over 100k.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:13 AM

yea, my info was 5 years old, i guess. back from when i was following that crap. sorry. but my general point stills stands: very few people make >100K and Elky is not one of them.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM

The only great non-asian RTS player who I can think of is XDs'Grrr but we're talking 5-7 years ago when Starcraft was in its prime, Tillerman and Elky just never seemed to break through.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM

I saw a reportage in which he says that he has won $400k in the last 12 month playing poker (that was just before he finished second at EPT Copenhague). He also says that he was winning ~3k€/month (~$4k) playing starcraft.
The reportage (in french...) :
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...tes-poker-elky
Old 04-27-2007, 02:35 PM

I've played him in HU SNGs and he blows. I can see how his style might work well at 6max against certain players though.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Endorsement deals come on guys.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM

Bryan check out replays from Draco is you think only asian players are good at SC. He has micro that is out of this world, and I've never seen anyone use High Templar like him. From Russia or somewhere around there, I think. Used to play for Meet Your Makers, I think he still does. The only reason all the good SC players are Korean now is because it's the only country that really plays it seriously still. The best WC3 players are not asian, like Grubby or ToD.