Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: AKo <-- should I just fold it pre-flop?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about the turn play on this one. My inclination is to get my chips in here, and the reason why I think that is because 1) I might very well have the best hand and 2) if I'm behind, I've got 9 outs to a nut hand that isn't getting much additional action if it hits.

Does this reasoning have any validity, or am I way off base?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the question here is what hands do you think he'll call a turn bet/raise with that you beat? Maybe a weak A, but he's probably dumping pretty much everything else. I think you're better off calling his smallish bets (or checking turn, calling river if you raise the flop).
Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Hand 1: I think this is fine.

I check behind on the turn here more often than not because the draw isn't very wet. Still the str8 is out there and a second barrel definitely works well against some villains with weak pairs, just don't make it a habit. Take the free card and collect on the river when you hit.

Hand 2:

Raise that wet flop to about 8.5, you hit big and that board is soggy.

As played the turn and river are fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Grunchie..

Hand 1: Why are you betting the turn here? I check behind here almost always against that player. If you are going to bet, I'd make it more like 2/3 to 3/4 pot.

Hand 2: I raise to $2.50 preflop. Min-raise on the flop is weak sauce. Make it more like $6. Calling down his small bets is meh...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My inclination is to get my chips in here, and the reason why I think that is because 1) I might very well have the best hand and 2) if I'm behind, I've got 9 outs to a nut hand that isn't getting much additional action if it hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls your trun ai, you def. do NOT have the best hand.

and you'r not getting odds to hit on the river if you're ai, even if he's only got 2 pair

AND if he does have a flush, you do NOT have 9 outs, you have 7
Old 01-09-2007, 02:59 PM

grunch

First hand you can check behind on the turn and check/fold the river unimproved. If you think villain is tricky you could call a small bet from him on the river to pick off a bluff, but the action seems to indicate he's not drawing and you're behind, so I would not advise it.

Second hand you need to raise more on the flop. Make it $5 or $6. If he calls a real bet, then takes the lead on the turn after the straights and flushes filled, you can fold confidently... unless of course he puts out a pussy bet like that $2 into a $10 pot (ugh) in which case you can call with your nut flush draw and fold the river unimproved. It was the weak flop raise that sank you on this hand.

How'd I do?

$0.02
Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 -- Raise the flop to $8. Then you can check the turn behind and draw to teh nuts and plan to call a small river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question about the turn play on this one. My inclination is to get my chips in here, and the reason why I think that is because 1) I might very well have the best hand and 2) if I'm behind, I've got 9 outs to a nut hand that isn't getting much additional action if it hits.

Does this reasoning have any validity, or am I way off base?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is ahead, I would expect a turn c/r AI which hero cannot call. I'd rather get to a cheap showdown. Checking the turn is about pot control and protecting a hand that has showdown value, not building a pot.

What worse hands do think will check call both a turn and river bet? I'd rather try to get the last bet in on the river in this situation. Most Ax hand would call a 1/2 pot bet.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM

(grunching)

Hand 1 - I take a WA/WB line here. Keep the pot small and try to get a cheap showdown. I would check behind on the turn and fold to a river bet.

Hand 2 - You have to raise this flop more. You offered villain great pot odds to draw to his flush. Make a flop call incorrect by not offering correct pot odds (i.e. make it a pot-sized raise), and by not offering correct implied odds (by not paying him off if he hits).

In hand 2 you got lucky in that villain didn't punish your mistake on the flop by making you pay dearly on the turn and river.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM

newbie grunching:

Hand 1: Against a player with a smaller opening range, I would check the turn - the only hand you're currently beating is probably AQ. Now if you said the guy was 55/20/3, I'd probably bet the turn.

Hand 2: Why a minraise? Why not raise the size of the pot there? At 8.5-1.5, you've given a wide range of hands (any two hearts, any two &gt;= 9) odds to call.