Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: ugh women really are all about the money.

First off, this thread needed some pics. Second, playing devil's advocate is more fun than misogyny . . .

I used to work with a girl who looked just like the one in this pic, but with implants. On top of her looks, she drove a Saab, drank red wine when everyone else was doing Jagerbombs, and bragged about the points system she had used to control her ex-boyfriend. Even the way she walked announced that no man uglier than Brad Pitt or poorer than Bill Gates should attempt eye contact, and only a man with both looks and money might venture a simple "Hello." All in all, she was the devil's gift to men, not god's.

She couldn't talk to a man without using the phrase, "Can you do me a favor?" (in one night I've heard her start six conescutive conversations with those exact words), yet she was also one of those rare people who thought money existed to be spent on other people. If she actually let a man buy her a drink, there was a good chance he would be drinking for free the rest of the night.

Scott
Old 05-25-2006, 09:36 AM

Tennenbaum:

FWIW, I agree with you. When my wife (then girlfriend) first moved in with me, I lost my job. She was bartending at the time, and we moved into the apartment based on my salary. When I lost my job, the IT industry in Atlanta was in horrible shape. People weren't spending money in bars, so she wasn't bringing in much money either...

We were down to our last $1500 with rent due in two days ($1100) when I found a job. It was stressful, nerve-racking, but we managed to get through it without fighting, without blaming one another, or anything else. It was right about that time I realized she was with me for me, instead of my bank account. We got married a year and a half later.

Anyway, there you have it. Not all women are about the money, but a lot of self-centered bitches are.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennenbaum:

FWIW, I agree with you. When my wife (then girlfriend) first moved in with me, I lost my job. She was bartending at the time, and we moved into the apartment based on my salary. When I lost my job, the IT industry in Atlanta was in horrible shape. People weren't spending money in bars, so she wasn't bringing in much money either...

We were down to our last $1500 with rent due in two days ($1100) when I found a job. It was stressful, nerve-racking, but we managed to get through it without fighting, without blaming one another, or anything else. It was right about that time I realized she was with me for me, instead of my bank account. We got married a year and a half later.

Anyway, there you have it. Not all women are about the money, but a lot of self-centered bitches are.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Tis true. And congrats on finding one of us awesome chicks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there are also at least as many women who make their own money and don't need a man to provide for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and most of these women are not attractive and/or bitches. They make their own money because they have no other choice. Who WOULDN'T want to have someone else pay for everything you could ever want?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come on dude, you don't really believe that completely. at least i hope you don't...?

[/ QUOTE ]

The part that bothers me is that someone like ElaineMonster will read d-bag's posts and say "See?!? This is what I've been [censored] talking about! OOT is full of misogynists!"
Old 05-25-2006, 09:47 AM

If money is all you offer, then you'll probably tend to attract women that are only after money.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Hopey,

But only someone as nutty as Elaine will take seriously the posts of a guy calling himself douche bag on an internet forum.

J
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know everyone is more concentrated about how potential sex partners view it and there is the whole biological/provider arguemnet. But my mom, my aunts, sister etc even treat me differently now, just about everyone, man or woman . About the only people who treat me the same regardless of how much money I had/have are close poker friends. Sad but $ seems to make the world go round and round.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup
Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If money is all you offer, then you'll probably tend to attract women that are only after money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great statement Gunny.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 AM

I do agree with most of what El Diablo and Ed Miller posted.

I think you should look at your own behavior a little bit more in this situation. Even the type of woman who is independent and doesn't care about money would be taken aback by the poor judgment that you showed.

She might not care about money in terms of how much you make, but she might really care that you manage your money well regardless of how much you make. If she is looking for a long-term relationship with you, it is very rational of her to think that way.

If you were a pretty, young girl who can earn her own money and has plenty of romantic options, why would you want to make a commitment to someone who shows poor judgment about money?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You validated thier concern. You said your family is looking at you differently. You're a "gambling addict" now, and they are looking at you the same way they would if a bag of coke fell out of your pocket in front of them.

In time you can redefine yourself, get back on your feet financially, and heal this wound. But I think that you're experiencing the social stigma of being a poker player, not the greediness of women.

EDIT: BTW, it's cool that you sucked it up and downgraded your stuff when your finances suffered rather than kept the lifestyle and got yourself into major debt. If the world viewed your situation logically, they'd applaud you for your positive reaction to a bad situation rather than condemn you for getting yourself into the situation (everyone makes mistakes, yada yada). But people aren't logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point, Ed, but you and a few of the replies seem to ignore this important statement:

"Well a few months ago I lost a lot of money playing poker, got burned out and lost more money at other things (yes I lied and told her I lost less than I really did so she wouldn't worry). We don't share finances so it's not really even the significant other's right to know about my finances."

Losing money suddenly, ACROSS THE BOARD (not just poker swings), and LYING about it?

NLfool, you really need to look at it from others' perspectives as well, before you start making blanket statements.