Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: AAAT in limit O8

Hi Olrik -[ QUOTE ]
so basicly you are saying that against tight and _thinking_ villians this hand might be worth a raise, in any other case muck it.

[/ QUOTE ]I would not describe the villains you might raise as "tight and _thinking_ villians."

Tight villains are probably not playing very many hands without aces. You don't need to raise to get rid of them if they don't have a hand with an ace. And they're simply calling the raise if they do have an ace plus three other decent cards. In other words, the raise is wasted on them.

I take "thinking" to mean intelligent, sharp, and aware. If that is what you mean, thinking villains, tight or otherwise, will tend to not leap to conclusions, will not tend to be gullible. By "gullible," I mean easily deceived.

Ideally you want to use the play against someone who will leap to the conclusion that you have a pair of aces plus two other decent cards, a very solid starting hand with a pair of aces.

So ideally, you want the players who have not yet acted to be a mixture of tight villains and gullible villains. And you prefer the blinds to be villains who do not always defend.

You don't want to raise with this hand and then have more than one villain call the raise! You don't want even one villain to call the raise, unless it's a big blind poster who will check/fold if he/she misses the flop.

And sometimes you will have such a mixture of opponents following you.

Poker, even Omaha-8, is a game of deception. You choose your spots for this deception carefully. Everything has to fall into place - the right cards, the right collection of opponents, the right position, the right table image. And then when opportunity presents itself, you make a move.

AAAT will be suited three times out of four. Even if suited, AAAT is a relatively weak starting hand. No responsible adviser would recommend that you play such a hand from MP3, and yet if an opportunity presents itself, seize it.

Buzz
Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM

FOLD. This hand can only win you half the pot. You are single-suited. You're probably not going to win if you need the case A to make your high.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 AM

If you play this hand I want you at my table.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:36 AM

The raise is going to work best, against the type of player who'll call to hit the flop, and then fold when they've missed. That's the core reason for wanting to isolate the BB (preferably), if you're up against 2 hands, the chances of getting called on the flop increase significantly. Your ideal flop, is one that looks like it fits your fine raising hand, and should miss your opponents blind defense hand.

If it's a tight caller of type Buzz mentioned, and then you get a flop that's good for a raising hand, you'll probably be in trouble if you persist in bluffing.

The assumption that the folders were Ace-less is only partly usefull, unless the opponents are weak 'Any Ace' type players. There's plenty of Axxx hands that get mucked, by solid opponents. What the folds really tell you, is that noone was dealt a good A2xx or A3xx hand.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Of course my response is generally correct, and Buzz's is absolutely correct.