Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Who is Your Favorite President?

In the spirit of President's Day, I'm on Mountain Time, who is your favorite all-time president?

My vote would have to go to the People's Champ, Thomas Jefferson. I don't really know if he was that cool of a president, but Jefferson was an amazing thinker whose ideas were pretty revolutionary for the time.

One knock against Jefferson is his status as a slave-owner, but that's like ripping on a 17th century noblemen for marrying his cousin.

Also, he did sort of illegally buy Louisiana, but it's tough to complain about the end result unless you're Chief Sitting Bull.

I think if you were going to start a poll it would be more fair to divide the presidents by eras. Clinton would be my favorite recent president but only because I really hate all the other ones.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Who is Your Favorite President?

Favorite of all time: Washington.

He had ridiculous leadership qualities. He also warned against the U.S. falling into a two-party system. Oops.

Favorite of the modern era: Probably Clinton w/ Bush Sr. a close second.

I have to respect GHWB for sacrificing a second term for the good of the country (no new taxes). I also respect him for knowing when to quit w/rt Iraq. He knew that an invasion would turn into a quagmire and so he abstained even though Saddam was a "really bad guy"(tm).

I think his son will be remembered as a "brat" president.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:38 AM

Jackson. He believed in Constitutional limitations of federal power, paid off the national debt, killed the central bank, and put Congress in their place. Too bad it didn't take.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:40 AM

Abraham Lincoln!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jackson. He believed in Constitutional limitations of federal power, paid off the national debt, killed a lot of indigenous people , and put Congress in their place. Too bad it didn't take.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 AM

Washington or Jefferson. Both had some incredible ideas that unfortunately were ignored.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 AM

Stay Cool with Coolidge.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 AM

Default In Defense of Andrew Jackson (again!)

Jackson. He believed in Constitutional limitations of federal power, paid off the national debt, killed a lot of indigenous people , and put Congress in their place. Too bad it didn't take.
Yep and thank god. The indians he killed off weren't exactly peace-nik-hippie-indians smoking pot and singing love songs. The Creeks Indians were one of the most blood-thirsty-murderous-scum indians on North America. Jackson ****ed them up. Why should Jackson apologize for being a better killer than the indians were? These indians used terror, torture, and murder to futher themselves. Excuse me if I don't cry for them. Also the British deserve some blame because they paid the indians for the scalps of American settlers (men and women) and many American indian tribes used scalp collecting as a source of revenue.

The Seminoles that attacked from Spanish Florida murdering settlers and then retreated to the "safety" of Spanish Florida. They soon found out that Jackson didn't care much about international borders and he exacted pay-back with COMPOUND INTEREST.

You are a victim of the political correct white-washing of American History. Jackson DESERVES his place on the $20 bill. He earned it. I wish we had an Andy Johnson to lead us on the war-on-terror. Those Arabs wouldn't last a year....
Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 AM

Eisenhower
Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Thomas Jefferson and Reagan

Both were good tax cutters and good at foreign policy.
Jefferson did have a poor foreign policy against Britain when he enacted an embargo against Britain but he redeemed himself with the Lousiana purchase.