Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

4/22 Rippetoe A

Front Squat 40 = 125x3x5
Bench 50 = 145x3x5
DeadLift 85 = 215x1x5

Hells yeah, lower weights but back on track, form feels good.

Hey maybe you guys can tell me something about this :

Flat bench always fails for me in a strange way. Like, it feels really light, my muscles feel like they could do a lot more, but my arms just start shaking and then on the last rep I just can't go any more. It doesn't feel like any other exercise to me, I dunno if somehow I'm failing in my CNS or my ATP or something, or maybe it's just all in my head.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

Well son of a bitch it's 6 months later and I haven't made much progress. For one thing I got really sick for a while, then partied like crazy for a while, then did a bunch of long bike riding which was really negative for my strength/weight gaining.

I thought I'd revive the log to write what I'm doing now. I'm restarting the Rippetoe, but with some modified routines to me more friendly to my shoulder. I think I was hurting it too much back then. I'm also trying to eat a lot more. I think a lot of why I'm not adding muscle faster is I'm not eating enough and not sleeping enough, so I'm trying to focus more on having 6 meals with lots of protein which is really really tough.

For the record, I'm 6'1" and weigh about 180 right now, dunno my BF% but it's very low. My goals are to get stronger cuz I'm hella weak right now and to rehab my shoulder and develop a lot of strength in shoulder girdle to prevent future injuries. I'd love to be able to play rugby again in 2008. First I need to be able to do ONE overhead squat.

So, my new modified Rippetoe looks like this :

A:
Front Squat
Incline dumbell bench
Chinups
Face pulls

B:
Deadlift (3x5 not 1x5)
Military press (dumbbell, neutral grip)
Seated cable row

+finish with a 1x100 and some hard ab exercise
+abs later in the day some days
+HIIT sprinting later on same days

Some of the extra shoulder work I do :

warm up the shoulder each day with the "thrower's ten"
serious stretching at least 3 times a week, focusing on hams, hips, chest & shoulder - trying to eliminate kyphosis and promote scapular retraction
myofacial release with a foam roller
scap retraction and scap circles
pushups "with a plus" and scap pushups
in-place lift ups on chair ("latissimus dorsi strengthening")
neutral plane lateral raises

Some other things I like but haven't found a place for in my routine :
Hindo pushups
Turkish getups
Power shrugs
Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Sample day's diet :

breakfast:
bowl of oatmeal
3 eggs

snack:
apple
6 oz ham

lunch/postworkout:
protein shake
lunchmeat sandwich
bowl of spinach

snack:
turkey hotdog
peanuts

dinner:
8 oz steak
asparagus
potato
salad
3 beers

I think I'm probably still not getting enough protein and maybe not even enough calories. I'm not putting on any fat really even though I feel like I'm eating a ton. I guess I need to do the numbers, and I should really cut the beers but I don't want to.

I'm not trying to do any cardio at this point for exercise purposes, but I still bike and hike and stuff a lot because that's what I like to do for fun, so maybe I'm burning too many calories on that junk.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Well I went and did the numbers on my diet. I don't know if there's any decent way to post a table on 2+2, this is formatting like sh*t, but here it is :

cal fat carb prot
breakfast:
bowl of oatmeal 150 2 25 6
3 eggs 221 15 1 19
butter 100 11 0 0

snack:
apple 72 0 19 0
6 oz ham 300 15 0 38

lunch/postworkout:
protein shake 130 2 11 16
lunchmeat sandwich 400 8 41 35
bowl of spinach 50 3 3 3

snack:
orange 70 0 17 1
turkey hotdog 114 6 1 14
peanuts 166 14 6 7

dinner:
8 oz steak 414 14 0 66
asparagus 40 0 7 4
potato 128 0 29 3
salad 33 0 7 2
3 beers 450 0 38 5
butter 100 11 0 0
olive oil 120 14 0 0

total 3058 115 205 219

Anyway the totals are:

calories : 3058
fat : 115
carb : 205
protein : 219

That's okay but it's actually lower calorie than I thought; it feels like I'm constantly eating. My goal is more like 3500 calories. Probably the best thing would be to just add some more protein shakes throughout the day. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM

cbloom...maybe a snack right before bed? some protein/cottage cheese/flax/peanut butter would get you where you want to be?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM

So I ran my numbers on what I ate yesterday :

cal : 3127
fat : 114
carb: 252
prot: 251

Really similar to last time. BTW it gets way easier to do this each time because you get all the common foods you eat in an excel sheet and you can just copy & paste the lines rather than looking them up.

I guess I'm still not eating enough total, and I really want to get my protein more spread out throughout the day. Right now I'm eating like 100g around dinner and then not enough the rest of the day. I've heard the body does best with protein doses around 25g, so to get 250g that means 10 doses.

I felt like I ate a ton yesterday, it's just psychologically so hard for me to go over 3000 calories. All those years of trying to stay lean have got me in the habit of hating that really stuffed full feeling.

In better news I did the first weighted pullups in my life yesterday, that felt good.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Eat a bigger steak, add an extra egg for breakfast, eat more nuts. I think those would be the least filling ways to add calories (cuz of the fat).

EDIT: Another thought, since you want to space out the protein, is to save some steak from the night before, slice it up and eat it with your eggs. You can mop the sunny side yolk if that's how you eat eggs. So yummy.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Such a [censored] workout today. I think I'm going to bail on strength workouts again.

All the big moves are so hard for me to do safely and I feel like I fail in my joints way before I can really work the muscles.

Tried to do front squats today and couldn't find an arm position that felt okay for my shoulder so I bailed and just did some lunges which felt okay.

Tried to do dumbbell flat bench which is an okay move for me, but to strain the muscles I have do weights that I can't get into the starting position safely. (barbell flat bench is forbidden)

Tried to do deadlifts and got a shooting pain in my back going down my hip (I have pinched disks from old injuries).

On the plus side I found a new better physical therapist and my shoulder is getting a lot better. I was able to do an overhead squat today with a broomstick which I wasn't even close to earlier. Also I was able to at least get into a normal barbell squat starting posture but that's still forbidden to me so I didn't actually do any.

I think I'm gonna take a few months and just do high rep bodyweight stuff and swimming for GPP and muscle endurance and all that kind of nonsense.

I was so frustrated, some jackass at the gym started racking my weights while I was resting between sets and I almost just clocked him

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM

that sucks man. good luck with your injury. it's kinda hard to function without a shoulder, eh?

Certain people at the gym are effing annoying. One guy started checking out his complexion in the mirror, then popped a zit! [censored] scumbag.

anyways, I actually saw two people squatting correctly at the gym this week, gives me hope for mankind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 05:06 PM

Well last few days have been really good doing low weight stuff.

Swimming a few times
Lots of lunges and squats with no weight
OHS with broomstick
Regular squat with just a bar
Pullups and pushups
Hypers & reverse hypers
Turkish getups with 25 lbs
+1 hour a day of stretching & shoulder rehab exercises [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

All felt really good. Started doing this new ab thing too - I can't find a name for it, but you do a lying down straight leg lift with a medicine ball between your feet, at the top you pass the ball to your hands and lower your legs and arms to lieing down, then do another leg lift and grab the ball with your feet. Pretty fun.

I wanted to do some kind of hard work today before I gorge tomorrow so I did

Pullups + 15 lbs, 8,7,5
Dumbell military press 30 lbs 8,7,7 (going light for reps)
Deadlift 135x5,160x5,185x5

DL felt really draining but good. It blows I'm not making any progress increasing weights, but I am feeling a lot healthier.