Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Gallup Poll numbers

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27757&pg=1

This article received very little attention, but I think it's a great fact to support that the vast majority of the American Public supports gambling. 63% of Americans find gambling to be morally acceptable. It should always be pointed out that the majority of Americans support gambling.

On a breakdown 82% of Liberals find it acceptable, 68% for moderates!, and 47% for the conservatives. For those who claim that regulating online gambling has broad support from the American public is a bold faced lie. I understand that the numbers refer to gambling and not online gambling, but gambling is a general term that is likely to encompass online gambling. The numbers would likely be the same for online gambling or just gambling.

We need to remember that VAST majority of American public finds gambling morally acceptable.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Gallup Poll numbers

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27757&pg=1

This article received very little attention, but I think it's a great fact to support that the vast majority of the American Public supports gambling. 63% of Americans find gambling to be morally acceptable. It should always be pointed out that the majority of Americans support gambling.

On a breakdown 82% of Liberals find it acceptable, 68% for moderates!, and 47% for the conservatives. For those who claim that regulating online gambling has broad support from the American public is a bold faced lie. I understand that the numbers refer to gambling and not online gambling, but gambling is a general term that is likely to encompass online gambling. The numbers would likely be the same for online gambling or just gambling.

We need to remember that VAST majority of American public finds gambling morally acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another morsel of hope you can add from this is that Gallup consistently polls older/isolated adults. I think they hit a lot of people who have no experience of Las Vegas or poker or any gambling, just what their grandparents said. They attempt to correct for it but I think it still understates the support the under 65 age group has for gambling. If you polled under 35s I think the number would jump to 75-80, pretty stagering for one issue.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM

"For those who claim that regulating online gambling has broad support from the American public is a bold faced lie"

Did you mean to type banning for regulating?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks. These are good stats to share with Capitol Hill.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM

If youre lobbying Dems, remember to point out this can really help to capture white male voters 18-50, maybe a bit higher. This is the demographic they try to get with flag burning amendments and banning gay marriage, both issues people know they don't really back. Witness HIllary's sham votes on both, and craven vote counting so they came up a vote or two short of Senate passage. But poker can help deliver %s on election day on those issues. Secular ro fairly religous men who wouldnt listen to her at all, might vote for her for poker, or their Senate challengers(2/3 of seats up for election are Rep).
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If youre lobbying Dems, remember to point out this can really help to capture white male voters 18-50, maybe a bit higher. This is the demographic they try to get with flag burning amendments and banning gay marriage, both issues people know they don't really back. Witness HIllary's sham votes on both, and craven vote counting so they came up a vote or two short of Senate passage. But poker can help deliver %s on election day on those issues. Secular ro fairly religous men who wouldnt listen to her at all, might vote for her for poker, or their Senate challengers(2/3 of seats up for election are Rep).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.