Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 02:25 PM

Default We lack O8 tournaments already - now this

Playing O8 live in a decent sized tournament is a rare occurence these days. At least the WSOP, Foxwoods, and the Taj seem to remember the game exists. Of course, the online rooms have it. But check this out...

If you are within distance of Atlantic City, you have a choice to make. The WCOOP at pokerstars has had the schedule out for a while now. The O8 limit event is Sep 19. The PLO8 is Sep 25.

The Taj US Poker Championship series has BOTH O8 and PLO8, and even some two way hi low. But the O8 limit event is on the same day as the Stars event. The PLO8 event is the day after the stars event. In my case, I could play the stars event starting at 4pm and still make the final table and drive to AC for the live event. But anyone further than a few hours wouldn't.

Who thought the day would come when one would have to choose between a big online O8 tourney and a comparable buyin live?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: We lack O8 tournaments already - now this

Thats def sick. Two of the biggest PL08 events of the year crossing over like that. I guess we should be happy that TAJ is even spreading a PLO8 event... Did they have one last year?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Stars should be able to move theirs if enough people ask. It's far enough out that this could happen.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Plateau - to the best of my knowledge they did not have one for USPC last year, but they DID have one in November in the "Trump Classic." That's where I talked to a tournament director on smoke break who said they were adding the PLO8 to this year's USPC. Glad to see follow through.

Truthiness - I doubt Stars would change a schedule for that. Their player pool is worldwide, and last year's $340 PLO8 at Taj in November got 165 people. If even half were stars players (and that seems accurate from my count) that's still fewer than 100 people out of the hundreds that play WCOOP events. People are already playing satellites for WCOOP, so changing a date on someone who already won a seat would be sketchy. They announced dates first anyway, and I doubt the B&M world wants to be the one to move for the online world.

Just something I will bring to the Taj people's attention for next time. Still, somehow I think they are more concerned about the main event turnout with the other live 10k competition they will be facing. See main tournament circuit area for that thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 AM

thanks for the response samcky,

Well its def a good direction for the game of PLO8. With the WSOP spreading it this year and now the Taj is as well. Hopefully the trend continues and we see more PLO8! I hate looking at a tourney schedule and seeing NL,NL,NL,NL,NL.....
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

plo8 is growing ,more and more players are getting tired of nl holdem,and that does suck to never see any plo8 at any of the big tourneys,but at least they finally had one at the wsop this year.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:00 AM

didn't feel like starting a new topic to ask this, so please forgive the slight hijack.....

Are there any smaller stakes(around $100) PLO8 MTTs in Vegas on any type of regular basis?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Orleans has a few.
I played at one on Friday at Noon last time I was there. I think it was $80. I finished 17th of 80. Most everyone knew each other, I felt like a stranger at a home game.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I may just become a regular in that once I move there in September. How was the play? How would you compare it to the different levels of online cash play?