Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Capital Punishment

For those who do support it what % of false positives do you accept?
Old 05-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Hoo-ah!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:22 PM

When New York had CP (if it doesn't still), I've been told it cost 22 million to put a criminal to death (court costs, whatever, poison).
Old 05-27-2006, 08:27 PM

I support hard labor for serious criminals, doing something useful for our country like chain gangs. FOr others things like probation and community service. Retribution and rehabilitation rather than punnisment. And I think their should be dignity in the process for all people coming back to society some day.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who do support it what % of false positives do you accept?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for 18 answers of how many innocent people out of 100 you'd be happy with the government murdering in your name.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Not at all.

The only instance where I could ever support it would be if a certain inmate were still a real threat to the safety of other inmates or (and probably more importantly) the outside world, despite the best prison technology available. If such a person were to exist, and no prison existed that would keep others safe, then I can see executing him to be okay. I don't really see this happening, though I suppose it is possible.

Otherwise, no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in the quote.

I would like to add that I believe people should not be executed because they should have to pay for their crimes while still alive. I want them to live to pay for their wrong doings. Being forced to work for cents an hour and being in a cage for the rest of their lives sounds like a good payment plan to me.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 AM

To those against the death penalty-

How much a year per person does it cost for a person to be in jail?

Do you realize that the most vicious people are at the top of the social ladder in jail, thereby refuting the idea that life in prison is worse then the death penalty?

How can you both claim
1) life in prison is worse then death
2) you don't support the death penalty because it could lead to the death of innocent people

these two statements completely contradict each other to me. Maybe it's too late.

Borodog- Can you explain your point a little more?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you realize that the most vicious people are at the top of the social ladder in jail, thereby refuting the idea that life in prison is worse then the death penalty?

How can you both claim
2) you don't support the death penalty because it could lead to the death of innocent people

these two statements completely contradict each other to me. Maybe it's too late.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen sources that claim life in prison is less expensive than the death penalty when the whole legal process and execution and whatever is added in. If this is not true, please correct me.

Part of the punishment involved, in my eyes, is having to live the rest of your life faced with the terrible things you've done. I can't even imagine what it would be like to spend every day being reminded of killing or raping or whatever. It's not all about making them have a "hard life" while they're behind bars.

I have to believe that life in prison is a worse punishment for someone who is guilty. If I were innocent, however, every day I live is another day to prove my innocence.

Either way, I think that any possibility of executing an innocent man is far too much of a price to pay, especially since executions have dubious deterrent properties.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of the punishment involved, in my eyes, is having to live the rest of your life faced with the terrible things you've done. I can't even imagine what it would be like to spend every day being reminded of killing or raping or whatever. It's not all about making them have a "hard life" while they're behind bars.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might apply to most normal people but definely applies to a small percentage of murderers and rapists. Most people that do that type of thing don't care about right and wrong.

Also about the cost issue, that is probably true since I've heard similar things, but it can be arranged so that it is much more cost effective (I'm not talking about getting rid of appeals either).

Whoever said that they should spend there time being forced to do simple tasks that benifit the country has a good point.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:

How can you both claim

ON COSTS:
Annual costs to maintain a prisoner are a lot. I recollect a figure of 30K annually but might be off.

I also recollect that people on death row stay there for a decade or more so the same applies to them for all the years they are on death row.

From what I understand there is an extensive appeals process available to people on death row so it might even be more expesive to have a dealth row prisoner for 15yrs including their appeals than it is to maintain a lifer for 40 years.

Second point:
I realize that the most vicious are at the top of the social ladder. That doesn't mean their life is not bad. I pesonally would rather be killed than spend life in prison I think that would be way better but realize most prisoners don't think so. I also realize it's a big problem that people in jail who are violent and willing to kill and who live in states with no death penalty are a nightmare to maintain. Their is no fear of a worse consequence than they already face so they can rule the jail and kill. Super max prisons are becoming more common where people like that are in isolation 24hrs a day but would imagine that it is even more expensive to maintain them but really don't know.

In any event I am in favor of bringing back chain gangs and putting those criminals to hard labor for 10hrs a day, 6 days a week. Of course they would have to be monitored by a couple sharp shooters so if they try to escape or fight someone they get shot dead. I think chain gangs and hard labor would be a deterrent much more than the current system.

RE: life being worse than the dealth penalty.
I use my own judgement and think that i would rather be put to dealt (a minute of pain) than confinement for 35years or more until i die having guards control my every movement and have huge restrictions on my freedom and choices. Hardened criminals usually don't think this way because they are amongst their own element in jail.

I think hard labor (i.e. cool hand Luke) should be the routine way to treat prisoners. Easier labor and rehab with skill development for the moderate to low level criminals (like auto shop or whatever). If the moderate people screw up send them to the hard labor camp if the screw up is serious.

I am against killing people and think it would really suck to kill innocent people and think that there have been cases of that since the death penalty wiht dna evidence and stuff.