Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: CONVICTION: WHO THE [censored] DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAY?

[ QUOTE ]
Katy: If you followed that case, her husband was a real scumbag. I frankly had no problem with her sending the 'preacher' to hell. Jury felt the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I heard just the opposite! That's really weird that we have heard different sides to this story. I heard that they were having a lot of financial problems and that she felt he was controlling but there was no evidence she had been abused at all. In fact, on the Today Show this morning, I heard that one of the so called "abuses" that she endured was being forced to wear high heels to turn him on in the bedroom.

re: chain gangs-
I'd be for bringing back chain gang-type of work so long as the prisoner's life wasn't in danger and they were under good supervision and not overworked. By this I mean they would need adequate food and water and medical treatment, and be out of the heat if it was at dangerous temps. You know, put those guys to work! Is that wrong of me to think that?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys hear about that Mary Winkler woman who just got released from prison? She was sentenced to time served + 60 days for killing her preacher husband with a shotgun while he slept. How does the judge get away with sentencing her to only 60 days for voluntary manslaughter? Really ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard about it driving home last night on the radio. Does sound absurd. Tremendous double standard. No guy who shotgunned his wife would be given a 7 month sentence, credited with five months of it as time served awaiting trial, and then let coast through the last two months in a psychiatric facility. It's the closest thing to no punishment at all.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy: If you followed that case, her husband was a real scumbag. I frankly had no problem with her sending the 'preacher' to hell. Jury felt the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he do? I heard he beat her. Now that he's dead, do we know that by anything but her assertions? Even so, how do you justify murder?

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg: I just have no faith in career criminals ever being rehabilitated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty big mistake to define all criminals as career criminals. And if we do nothing to help them get job skills to survive legally, we leave them with little other choice than to put bread on the table illegally. Or kill themselves I guess, but that's at least a little too much to ask.

Anyway, it's pretty crazy to do everything possible to enrage, degrade, and violate people, give them no skills to find a job with, and then set them loose upon ourselves.

Vengeance is an extremely impractical and limited mindset.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM

How do you rehabilitate someone after locking them up? Suppose I lock you in my bathroom for 25 years. I will teach you anything you want to know, and you should be able to find a job after leaving prison.

The above scenario may seem odd, because you would say that you did nothing wrong. The people in and out of prison feel the same way. They are probably too angry to want to learn, plus the pressures of prison life would probably inhibit them from learning.

I also have befriended several ex-convicts over the years, and all of them complain that they are not able to find a job after leaving prison. I do believe that they have done their time, and that no low-wage employer should be allowed to ask about criminal history.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you rehabilitate someone after locking them up? Suppose I lock you in my bathroom for 25 years. I will teach you anything you want to know, and you should be able to find a job after leaving prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way it's been done before and is in some places being done now. The mystery you are seeking does not exist.

As far as I know, 25 years isn't the minimum sentence for every crime, either.

We are getting too much hyperbole in these arguments. I think it shows pretty clearly how shaky and emotion-based they are.

[ QUOTE ]
The above scenario may seem odd, because you would say that you did nothing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems odd because it is odd. And silly. It has nothing to do with reality.

[ QUOTE ]
The people in and out of prison feel the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No disrespect intended, but you are completely talking out of your ass here.

[ QUOTE ]
They are probably too angry to want to learn, plus the pressures of prison life would probably inhibit them from learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really make sense and is provably incorrect. Further, where does the anger come from? Our brutalizing of them and allowing them to freely brutalize each other? We can hardly complain as if it's anyone fault but our own if the people we "anger" through mistreatment turn out well ... wait for it ... angry!

[ QUOTE ]
I also have befriended several ex-convicts over the years, and all of them complain that they are not able to find a job after leaving prison. I do believe that they have done their time, and that no low-wage employer should be allowed to ask about criminal history.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the very problem you acknowledge exists that attempts at rehabilitation can sometimes fix. It is hypocritical to complain about recidivism when we do little or nothing to prevent it and even certainly encourage it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. It shouldn't be used as a matter of course or routine, but some people just deserve to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

A perpetual mirror-structure. Honesty light. Polaroids through the eras.

Female trust, temporal speeds. The flow is determined through menstrual cycles.

A female judgment is a rebirth. An immortal earn demands complete trust.

Without th at, no marriage persists past tolerance bans.

And the female is a reflection of the male. Feline Deline.

Sums to Sims. Carry sound, marry light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fortunas, if you don't have enough for everybody, please do not bring acid to the forums. Thank you.

peace, mondo
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Heard about it driving home last night on the radio. Does sound absurd. Tremendous double standard. No guy who shotgunned his wife would be given a 7 month sentence, credited with five months of it as time served awaiting trial, and then let coast through the last two months in a psychiatric facility. It's the closest thing to no punishment at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole "abused spouse" thing sounds questionable to me. I don't understand how defense attorneys have used this strategy so successfully over the years. Why do juries buy it? I'm not saying spouses are never abused, I'm just saying that if there's no evidence of it at all, how can we simply accept the wife's version when it goes to trial?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, let's split the difference. Bring back chain gangs. Teach them road-fixing and bricklaying skills while they're under the thumb of The Man With No Eyes. For the rest of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your use of a Cool Hand Luke reference to justify your hang 'em high philosophy is very funny.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole "abused spouse" thing sounds questionable to me. I don't understand how defense attorneys have used this strategy so successfully over the years. Why do juries buy it? I'm not saying spouses are never abused, I'm just saying that if there's no evidence of it at all, how can we simply accept the wife's version when it goes to trial?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was probably the anal rape angle that got her off.

So to speak.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 AM

OK sorry I bumped this thread all. I'm done. I guess my philosophy here regarding habitual criminals is that used when describing child molesters: It's not what they do. It's what they are.