Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Breaking news in Medical field

Rite Aid stores in west selling a paternity test kit for 29.99
Exerpt: Genetic testing is now available at the drugstore. A company called Sorenson Genomics has started selling a paternity test kit through Rite Aid stores in California, Oregon and Washington. It appears to be the first time a DNA test is being sold through a major pharmacy chain.

The test, sold under the brand name Identigene, has a suggested list price of $29.99, though a reporter purchased one at a Rite Aid in Santa Monica, Calif., for $19.99. There is an additional laboratory fee of $119 to have the samples analyzed.
---------------------------------

My take: its a very important breakthrough in preventing exploitation of innocent and trustworthy men. I heard it on 97.1 KLSX where they were talking that a report in Australia found that 25% of the people who sent dna samples to some DNA testing company found that they were NOT the father. wonder what will the % be in US.

so now the woman who have been hitting up the "cash cows" for child support will be cautious. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Finally someone is looking out for the guys !! However, the company warns that the results wont hold up in court if you just buy a kit and send samples. but at least you will know first and then decide on appropriate future course of action.

BTW, a guy called in the show and told a weird story. He had a doubt 5-6 years on that the kid wasnt his that he was paying child support for. When he got dna tested, the family court judge ignored it and he still has to pay. CAN it be possible ? doesnt make sense.

would like to hear your opinions. I cant see ANYONE having an adverse opinion on this development other than Maury/Ricki Lake/Montel.....who is going to go to their show now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Breaking news in Medical field

this is bad news for those of us whose boys can swim [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM

What's the false-positive result percentage? Also, I'd love to see the correlation between number of kits sold and domestic violence.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM

how is this bad news? i think its bad news for gold digging whores who hit up successful guys to have them pay child support when the kid is not even his. do a google on the study.....25% of the guys pay child support to kids that arent theirs !!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
i think its bad news for gold digging whores who hit up successful guys to have them pay child support when the kid is not even his. do a google on the study.....25% of the guys pay child support to kids that arent theirs !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta tell you, 25% sounds awfully suspicious. Sounds too much like the old canard of 10% of fathers raising kids that are biologically not theirs.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/071019.html

With all this talk of "gold-digging whores," it sounds like OP has a serious axe to grind.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM

I was told by a teacher once that almost 10% of people have an incorrectly identified father.

That is, that 1 in 10 kids don't realize who their real father is...and that their mothers probably don't know for sure either.

I don't know if it's true. But I would definitely believe it in our society.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

That's exactly what I was talking about. From the link above, it seems that when you actually study the question carefully, the real rate is much lower, more like two or three percent.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told by a teacher once that Ring Around the Rosy was about the black plague.

[/ QUOTE ]
but then Al Gore invented Snopes.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With all this talk of "gold-digging whores," it sounds like OP has a serious axe to grind.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe in other posts or other things. not on this one. See I married someone who doesnt want kids (not like a lot of girls say that in begining of relationship to get a guy and then change the tune, but really doesnt want kids). so I am safe on that angle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

yeah 10% seems right too. they were talking on a show about a survey in Australia. and it could be 10, could be 25, dont remember.

either way, something good for the guys nevertheless.