Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Default River action?

I've only been at the table for a few hands, but villain seems like a fish. Clear fold, right?

In case anyone is wondering, I just called on 3rd as a mix-up play. With an ace dead I'm usually limping with my speculative hands when I have an ace doorcard facing these boards, so I choose to limp with split aces sometimes also.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.30 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.65 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (3.65 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (5.65 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___?

Total pot: (7.65 BB)
Old 11-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: River action?

You're probably beat but I'd call for 1 more bet.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 PM

I probably crying call here. He would raise with a straight or backdoor flush, but does he put you on more than aces up? I doubt it given the limp and the fact that he's a fishy. He only has to be raising lower trips a small % of the time to make the call worth it....there is also that .5% chance he is trying a desperation raise bluff if he has since you make tough folds like this before.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM

I folded because I felt that passive players (which was my read based on the small amount of information I had) like this are almost never raising with worse hands.

I did watch this guy play some more, however, and he wasn't as passive as I had thought. He ended up being a huge idiot who could've been raising this river with two pair. If I'd known more about his play, I would've called.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:26 PM

The dead Ace is all the more reason to raise. I'd be happy buying the antes on third.

There is no way in hell I'm folding trip Aces to an unknown, especially if I have him pegged as a fish.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The dead Ace is all the more reason to raise. I'd be happy buying the antes on third.

There is no way in hell I'm folding trip Aces to an unknown, especially if I have him pegged as a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, You don't want to call there when you can take down the antes. You don't want to continue the hand with dead cards to the river so you are best trying to take the pot early on. I reraise the river given your action on third, he can't put you on trips.