Old 11-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

<font color="#0000ff">14. Nov</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Bench: 3x5x132
Deadlift: 1x5x132

Additional:
Rack pullups @ bw: 1x8

Gharg. I'm getting so frustrated with the squats. I just can't get the technique right. If one heel stays down, the other lifts. Or one of the knees comes in. Feels like I'm all over the place and will be stuck forever. I actually kicked the rack out of anger and frustration.

New PR for bench press. Bar speed was pretty low on the last rep so I'll count that as failure of form and do the same weight next time.

My back hurts today. I'm just gonna work through it.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 PM

<font color="#0000ff">16. Nov</font>

Mil.Press: 3x5x88
Pen.Row: 3x5x88

Additional: Nothing

My squat form was better for the first set. Instead of over thinking during the rep I tried "just doing it" and that seemed to work at first. But during the second set I lost balance while in the hole and had to let go of the bar with one hand and grab onto the rack so I wouldn't fall on my ass. I kept the bar on my back though, and after regaining balance, finished the lift. That probably took some energy out of me and the last set wasn't very good.

The press was taxing but I finished it with decent form imo so I'm gonna ramp up next time. It's pretty comical that I'm overhead pressing the same amount that I am squatting.

The rows are pretty easy at 88. I'll probably stay there though cause my back is still [censored] up.

As per advice I stuck to the program and did no additionals. While walking to the locker room after my stretches I was full of energy and felt like I could do 3-6 more sets. I'll start adding HIIT or squash on my off days soon when my back starts feeling a little better. (I've been doing zero cardio since I got injured and I'd like to see more results).
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

quick question because im starting stength too and am also a weakling lol but im wondering what type of warmups you do as far as the weights go?
Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 PM

I don't really know what I'm doing with the warmups. Mostly I just copy what I've seen other people do, starting very low and then gradually adding weight. I usually do 2-4 warmup sets before going for the final weight.

One thing I've noticed is different is that my final weight jump is usually pretty large. I never do a 1-rep set of near full weight before going for my full sets. This is mostly because the weights are pretty low and they don't really tax me that much, so I figure I don't need to do one of these "checkup" sets.

Squats, I do 2-3 sets of air squats (goblet, potato or overhead pvc), then just the bar, then 88.

Presses, I do 2 sets with bar then 88.

Rows, I do 2 sets with a light fixed barbell (40-50lbs) then 88.

Bench press, I start with 1 set with the bar, then I usually do 2 more sets where I'm gradually adding weight and then do the 3 full sets.

Deads, I just start with something light and do a set then do 2 more sets while gradually adding weight and then finally finishing with full weight.

(My light warmup sets can be more than 5 reps. I just go by feel)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 PM

<font color="#0000ff">18. Nov</font>

Bench: 3x5x132
Deadlift: 3x5x132

Additional: 3 jumping pullups

Finally got through the squats with acceptable form. Lifted the left foot just a little bit in 1 rep but rest were ok.

Bar speed was better in the bench-press. I'll probably add 5 lbs next time and see how that goes.

My back injury is progressing in a weird way. The back itself isn't really that sore anymore but I get this radiating pain down my left leg, especially the day after a workout. I also sometimes experience a little numbness in the leg. I think it's time to cut out the deadlifts and squats to see if I'll feel better.

I really feel like I'm getting fatter. I've gained about 4-5 lbs in the last 2 months, and lost about 0.5% of bodyfat (I'm around 25% now). My pants are tighter around the thighs and the waist, and my stomach seems to be protruding more (I have a gut, which I hate). I've tried cleaning up my diet and it has worked quite well except for the weekends, where I'll usually have one night of binge drinking followed by the usual hangover food (pizza, burgers, ice-cream and sugary soda). If it wasn't for this damned back I'd be doing tons of squash to correct this.

I'm gonna experiment with doing only bench-presses, military presses and rows and see how that goes with my leg-pain. What exercises should I add to make up for the loss of squats and deads?

If the pain recedes I'll add some cardio (squash/elliptical etc) to try to stop being such a fattie.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM

Stretch your hips and hams and groin. Try to do 30 minutes a day for a while.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stretch your hips and hams and groin. Try to do 30 minutes a day for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think that will help with the leg-pain? Or is it just to get better at squatting.

FWIW my physical therapist says that it's most likely that the swelling is pushing on a nerve cluster that leads down the leg. I'm hoping to god it won't get worse and that it isn't a ruptured disc or something like that. He's gonna put me in a stretching machine next time to try and open up the area around the nerve in the spine and relieve some of the pressure.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:40 AM

My leg has been killing me lately (due to injured lower back), especially the day after workouts, so I'm gonna rest for a few weeks and hope it heals up. I'm praying it ain't really serious.

I might go into the gym and work on upper body (benchpress, pullups, dips) after a week or so. Also maybe try out the elliptical and see how I feel. But right now I'm having a hard enough time getting through the day at work.

What really blows is that my waist has gotten bigger and I'm heavier. I feel like this bulking up has just turned me into a fatty. Sure I gained some muscle, but I also gained some fat and I was borderline overweight before.

I think I'll restrict myself to 2000 calories for the next 1-2 months to try and cut off some of the blubber. I just hate dieting without exercising.