Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: 2 questions - one about collusion the other about a definition

Opening usually refers to the first person to raise preflop (technically you can't bet preflop because of the blinds). That's called an open-raise. You can also open-limp.

I've actually heard the term open-fold by a couple guys on cardrunners, but that sounds a little goofy to me.

The collusion thing: no, you can't agree to check a hand down during a hand. You also can't communicate any kind of agreement to cooperate against another player for later hands. It's common strategy to check down hands to eliminate a player, fine, but you just can't do it out loud.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM

yep sound about right. better definition then my lol. but i never hear of open-fold. sound strange.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yep sound about right. better definition then my lol. but i never hear of open-fold. sound strange.

[/ QUOTE ]
Open-fold is a term that is used rather sparingly. It is generally regarded as a tight action. For example, if you are on the button and it is folded to you, you need pretty bad cards to open-fold. So if someone says a guy "open-folded" on the button, you know this guy was in a prime spot to open-raise steal but chose to fold indicating some level of tightness. On the other hand, open-folding in UTG is pretty common.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:39 PM

I hate that sort of action. It's pure idiocy but to tell someone to check-check another out of a tourny is not very good etiquette. Collusion? Maybe.

I would be more tactile is this situation and if I said anything at all it would be something like "Not a tournament player then?".
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM

Some of those guys are saying open fold with K4 UTG+2. Think they just like saying ir lol

The collusion thing again - It's definitely against the rules, although with low level donkaments, usually the most I'll do is warm the players they can't do it. By then, it's been done already, but what can you do.