Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Best play with small PPīs in low limit SH-games facing a raise preflop

Hello,

sry if there are very good postīs about this topic already out there. If that is the case, please send me the url...and please excuse my bad english, iīm german...

I would like to know how u guys play small ppīs (22-66) and medium (77-99) in low limit SH-games facing a raise preflop?
I hate coldcalling with them, but donīt know whether it is +EV if i 3-Bet them. If i 3-bet i would get some kind of information about there Pocketcards, depending on there reaction (cap/call) and i can make the action on the flop, getting them to fold a lot of hands.
On the other hand, in these limits people tend to give a **** about PFR, so u get beaten by crappy hands like T6o quite often. so folding preflop appears to be a better play.
what do u suggest?

Thx a lot in advance! and GL on the tables... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Aquilaman
Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Best play with small PPīs in low limit SH-games facing a raise pre

Too broad a question to answer generally. Depends on table conditions, who raised, your position asf asf.

edit: ugly typo
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 AM

If you want general answers to general questions you need to read poker books.

Stoxtrader's book is the best book on preflop plai in LHE IMO. So why dont you pick up that one?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 AM

As a good beginner's rule: Don't ever coldcall. The reasons because of this is that you also hide your premiumhands when playing smaller pocketpairs like this and also because there is a lot of dead money to be stolen from the blinds which generally will make this play +ev.

Furthermore you should be aware that if you have a lower pocketpair in a multiwaypot you should play for setvalue. If some overcards fall it is just too fishy to play along.

Because of this a raise preflop minimices the chance of a multiwaypot and furthermore it represents a good hand. Therefore your continuationbet on the flop may represent the A or K on the flop forcing a better hand than u actually have to fold. So there is some bluffing equity in reraising aswell.

This was general:
A lot of factors decide whether u shold reraise or fold: How tight is the openraiser, are we likely to get HU if I raise, how many has joined the pot now? and this in part depends on the dynamics of the table: If we have a raiser and a tight coldcaller it we can fold it, but if we have an fishy opencaller and then an aggro who reraises we may 3bet for value and bluffingequity. We may even get the opencaller out and we have accomplished a lot.

In the end of the day it is all about reads, intuition and experience. You will only get that by playing and remember you should either raise or fold. This is not only correct but it will also reward u the most when your reads are correct and punish you the most when you are wrong. This will quicken your learning curve.
So just remember: reraise or fold.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 AM

THX a lot! I knew the topic was way to general and i should have added a "?" to it...i know that i have to consider each situation, but i was interested in a general approach! so thx again!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 AM

General approach:

3-bet or fold outside the blinds

Call or raise any pp in the SB if there is 2 players in the pot

Raise or fold any pp in the SB vs only a raisor.

Call or raise any pp in the BB always.

Dont coldcall outside the blinds unless you are fairly sure that the pot will be 4-5 ways.