Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Default turn/river spot i\'m always confused

2-4 NL

I'm going to frame this first in terms of the concepts, but then I'll give an example with an actual hand. What do you do out of position in a small pot when you turn a strong hand that cannot improve further, and where opponent can either have a hand very similar to yours or your exact hand. E.g., a 4-straight or a decent but not great 4-flush. My confusion comes from the fact that I often bet turn and river relatively small for value, but then call river raises figuring that my weakness could either indicate a bluff or weaker made hand than I actually have (e.g., 2 pair) so that opponent might be raising a range equal to my own.

Consider:

Suppose you check in the BB with KQo (1 limper), and flop is 10JK 2 spades. You bet pot (which is obviously small at this point) and limper calls. Turn is the A of spades, completing your straight but also completing the flush. It will be hard to get one street of value out of this hand, let alone two. I'd like to know what you all would bet on turn and river, if anything, and if c/f or b/f is in your repetoire at any point.

Would be helpful to hear strategies vs. TAG (20/15) and LAG (30/20).
Old 08-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: turn/river spot i\'m always confused

go ahead and play it as you would the bigger hand (in your example, a flush). opponent should be just as worried about the better hand as you are.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go ahead and play it as you would the bigger hand (in your example, a flush). opponent should be just as worried about the better hand as you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would generally be pot pot. I feel like this is spew because when he calls the first pot his range is generally even with me. I'll generally only be called on river with hands that are beating me.

Also, playing the hand like I would the stronger means 3 betting turn if he raises (essentially turning my hand into a bluff against the equal range). I could certainly fold to a big raise but a min-raise would normally suck me in to pay off a river VB.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 PM

ok i wasn't very clear, sorry. make your turn bet the same as you would with the flush (pot) instead of a small value bet. villian has to assume you could have a flush or straight at this point and will play fairly straightforward. you can safely fold to a raise (which seems to be the concern you had originally) on the turn and on the river i'd probably c/f depending on how much opponent bets. this is usually fine because not many people bet a straight there on the river. if they do, start checking your flushes every once in a while on the river.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:20 PM

I'm going to bump this because it got so few views the first time and only Kratzer responded.