Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Sniper\'s Unofficial 2+2 Post Count Analysis - June \'06

Sniper,

I don't think we have nearly enough information to assume that it's more forums that are brining more users.

Far more likely are factors like

A- The WSOP starting up
B- Legislation both in Washignton State and the recent bill that passed through the house

Contribute to this.

I dislike the fact that one of the people who's been strongly pushing for new forums despite the fact that 2p2s readership seems disinclined is now trying to use his own numbers to lobby folks around this cause.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the fact that one of the people who's been strongly pushing for new forums despite the fact that 2p2s readership seems disinclined is now trying to use his own numbers to lobby folks around this cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a sweeping statement. You are mixing up OOTers with 2p2ers there. They aren't the same thing at all. Not even close.

I think if you want 2p2ers to be quoted as disinclined to new forums and not just OOTers, we should ask 2p2ers, not just OOTers.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:20 PM

Because OOTers never post in the strat forums ever!!

A good many of those who disliked the split were/are high quality strat posters and players.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:56 PM

Dids, please don't rewrite history... if you go back and look at the polls that were taken and the discussions in the relevant threads, you will see that both posters and Mods were fairly evenly split on the issues.

However, Mason and Mat have both expressed their desire to expand the number of forums, and I certainly support their decision.

Beyond that, the numbers aren't "mine"... they are the forum facts, that I merely compiled and shared with the Mods... I believe some of the Mods have found the information useful and interesting.

There are several factors that have impacted the record number of concurrent users... specifically this past week, the forum trend to "rebound" from the very low long July 4th holiday/weekend, along with the WSOP, Legislation, and the [censored]/Elaine/Ed drama which boosted traffic to TLDR, ATF, and Mod.

That said, concurrent user numbers are consistantly running higher now, and a part of the credit for that goes to the expansion of the forums over the last few months. Primarily because more forums = more front page threads and easier access to topics of interest.

I am also convinced that we could further increase concurrent users and page views by changing the default profile settings, and recategorizing the forums along the lines of the suggestion/discussion in a previous mod forum post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, there are issues beyond 2+2's control that will continue to bring new users here; but there are also actions that 2+2 can take to enhance these forums... and in that regard, I will continue to be an informed voice for change and enhancement of the forums.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:46 AM

My post was probably snarkier than it needed to be... that said, I still think that more forums are a bad bad idea right now.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:55 PM

'I dislike the fact that one of the people who's been strongly pushing for new forums despite the fact that 2p2s readership seems disinclined is now trying to use his own numbers to lobby folks around this cause.'

Do the numbers really support that? In April OOT had 2303 posts/day. In May (first month of LOL, TLDR) this was down to 1949 and down to 1840 in June. This gap was made up for by 77 posts for TLDR in May and 41 in LOL and in June 93 and 99 posts in those forums. So in summary OOT posts per day went down 354 posts/day from April to June while the combined total posts/day in LOL and TLDR for June is 192.

Granted, there are other factors involved but it would appear initially at least that the split reduced overall posting in the relevant OT forums.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:23 PM

Well, they certainly aren't harming OOT long-term, which was the big and constantly-argued point against them. seems in fact that particular argument is blown out the water, and there were no other decent ones against splits I can recall other than a few specific posters didn't want em. Oh I'm sure someone will say X% of OOTers don't want them, but they're not for X% of OOTers - they're for all 2+2ers.

I feel new forums are best piloted first to see how it goes (cos the arguments for and against seem to bear no resemblance to what ACTUALLY happens), and reabsorbed if they don't work.

Let's try it with Food and Drink first.

EDIT: In fact, I'd go further. Here's an idea - create a new grouping called 'The Lounges', where any forum has the basic tenet that respectfulness is expected towards other members, and it is 100% SFW for pictures.

D+R could be one, Food and Drink could be another (unless MrWookie prefers it more like OOT), maybe POG (which is pretty respectful and ordered) if the POG mods like that idea

I'm just proposing this to give some thinking material/discussion points, so flame away please.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 PM

And to put the cat among the pigeons, I'm thinking many small forums for 'The Lounges', not a few big ones.

I'm thinking:

Movies
TV
Music
Literature and Writing
Video Games
Arts
Hobbies and Pastimes
Travel and Trip Reports
News
Culture and History
Business (maybe, not sure about this)
Technology + The Future
X-Files (eg aliens, conspiracy theories etc)
Relationships, Sex and Dating (very strictly modded)
Fashion and Style
Food and Drink
Cars, Bikes, Boats etc (stuff with engines)
Old 07-16-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And to put the cat among the pigeons, I'm thinking many small forums for 'The Lounges', not a few big ones.

I'm thinking:

Movies
TV
Music
Literature and Writing
Video Games
Arts
Hobbies and Pastimes
Travel and Trip Reports
News
Culture and History
Business (maybe, not sure about this)
Technology + The Future
X-Files (eg aliens, conspiracy theories etc)
Relationships, Sex and Dating (very strictly modded)
Fashion and Style
Food and Drink
Cars, Bikes, Boats etc (stuff with engines)

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you have a community atmosphere with so many small forums?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you have a community atmosphere with so many small forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

From little acorns mighty oaks do grow.