Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

I have done some cold cavern dives in fresh water to about 180' wearing a 3mm wetsuit w/o hoody.

I know people too that would consider this simple, at first(friends whove have dove the Andrea Doria, for instance), but there are other factors besides the "cold", even though biologically, there is no way around the fact the my body will radiate heat into the water and hypothermia will become a factor - the degree to which it will affect me is the question - and I honestly don't know the answer; I can only speculate. Additionally, there's the solitude. I can only speak to the medical professional at intervals predetermined. No food. Air temp fresh drinking water... and then there's the sun exposure.

For me, it seems doable but certainly not fun. I'm just too damn stoopid [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] to back down from a challenge.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM

One more thing, we have a little time to work out the details (we are very close to a bet) because I am travelling to Barcelona on Monday to the WPT event over there.... and then I have to move all my [censored] outta my place... I'm thinking between Barcelona and Niagara, which is at the end of the month..waters are starting to cool too... sometime around the 20th to 24th works for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just too damn stoopid [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] to back down from a challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude I wasn't going to say anything, but come on. does anyone really think this isn't a hustle?

1) Sean registers 4 days ago and only posts in this thread
2) bet sounds insane
3) Sean clearly wants action

does anyone remember Nick Rainey?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

That was such an awesome thread.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just too damn stoopid [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] to back down from a challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude I wasn't going to say anything, but come on. does anyone really think this isn't a hustle?

2) bet sounds insane

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever happend to nick rainey btw?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2) bet sounds insane

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff notes?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]As someone who was present when the bet was originally proposed, McCabe was *not* the one who proposed it. It was offered to Matt Giannetti (after he finished the 12 hours in the pool), and he said no way. People started debating something more difficult.

With the 24 hours-in-the-ocean bet, Mark Seif said he'd bet it couldn't be done, and Sean McCabe bet that it could. And he very quickly offered up the fact that he was a certified rescue diver. A hustler wouldn't volunteer that information, but use it as an unseen edge.

I see this as an endurance challenge. Sine people say it can be done (with varying degrees of difficult), and some people say it can't. Many prop bets fall into this category, like Erick Lindgren's endurance golf prop bet during the WSOP.

Admo said:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge prop nit, so everything will be spelled out at length before all parties post. And we'll need to agree on someone to escrow funds and arbitrate disputes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Admo doesn't strike me as someone likely to be hustled.

Sean McCabe has repeatedly said that he's confident he can do it, though it will be very difficult. If he succeeds in doing what he says he can do, how is that a hustle? At this point, I think he just wants to prove the doubters wrong (of which there are still many).
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM

I'm in the camp that thinks this is overly dangerous and that, no matter how much Sean wants to take the challenge, it would be irresponsible to bet on the other side.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the camp that thinks this is overly dangerous and that, no matter how much Sean wants to take the challenge, it would be irresponsible to bet on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]
obviously the solution is to take his temp rectally every hour.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 PM

Sean,

I haven't been able to get hold of the fellas at Aruba-- have you?

Provided we can come to an agreement on the conditions of the bet, we've got close to $100k in 2+2 action.

Adam

ps. is anyone in touch w/Apathy? He hasn't replied to PM, think he's in Aruba also?