Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Deep Stacked with J9s

Game is 9-handed live pot-limit hold'em with $10-$10 blinds, uncapped buy-in.

Hijack has recently sat but has played a few hands aggresively, isolating one of the weaker players on several occasions, though seeing very few showdowns. My respect for this player diminished when in a recent hand he called off his entire stack (~3500) with aq on a243k board (result was a split), currently sitting with ~$4000.

Button is a weak player, often making very loose calls on early streets and very rarely exhibiting any agression. Sitting with ~$5000

I am sitting with ~3600
Preflop: Hero is dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $10, MP1 calls $10, Hero calls $10, Hijack folds, <font color="red">Cutoff raises to $70</font>, Button calls $70, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $60, MP1 fods, Hero calls $60

Flop: ($310) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](4 Players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero Checks, Hijack Checks, Button Checks

Turn: ($310) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $250.00 </font>, <font color="red">Hijack Raises to $750.00</font>, Button calls $750, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3550 </font>...

I thought this was a great spot, it was very unlikely that Hijack has any hand, he had been playing very aggresively and potting most flops and getting action. I didn't feel he would be slow playing a set on the flop, and if he had any other piece he would have surely be it on the first street. The Button's call is a little more disconcerting, I had seen him make similar moves with hands like top pair medium kicker, though granted not against quite this much action. Again, with him closing out the action I would definetly expect a bet on the flop with any hand like QT or better. I felt quite strongly that any hand he would be able to call me with would have re-raised on the turn.

With about ~3300 left I had just about enough to put in a decent size raise, I would definetly prefer this against a single opponent, but here both villains appear quite weak.

Thoughts?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Deep Stacked with J9s

Sry for this, but i am with you in doubting that Hijack can`t have a hand, because he folded pre.
I just take the odds you are offered and call. You say BU doesn`t show aggression and is a CS, so why bluff him?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Hi hedgetop,

I like it. It's VERY hard to put the CO on anything good other than a set of 3s here; even a good draw would've likely been bet on the flop by this player. I think you have a good chance to take it down now (maybe 60% or more overall), and obviously you have 8 outs if it doesn't work. The button has a mediocre made hand like Q9 or a good draw.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Loving it, cero said it.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 PM

yea it looks alright to me, though i dont know if i want to semibluff a showdown monkey on the turn with nothing but an OESD.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:19 PM

Yeah but button called maybe he is slowplaying two pair or more likely a set? Is this a bad way to think or should u automatically put button on a draw?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM

i would 100% put u on a clubdraw here i think..

i wouldn't put villain on a set here cause live they usually bet tiny in stead of check with monsters.. but i thikn it's obvious you're semibluffing.. but since you don't hold him in high regard i like it.

Donkeys don't put 3 betting people on draws.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 AM

i like it as well.