Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Live Note Taking

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know how else to say it so I'm be blunt - your notes and your database has no redeeming value. You should be making notes of your session profit/loss, limit, and time - not notes of the size of each pot you enter, it doesnt matter how much you win/lose in a hand - thats just nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do track session and YTD win/loss, but I don't need notes at the table for that.

The major redeeming value for me has to do with my personal weekness. I have, in the past, had great difficulty laying off hands like T8 offsuit. I have found that actually having to write down every hand I play (voluntarily put money in the pot) helps me control my own behavior. I know it is pathetic to need a crutch like this, so flame away if you wish, but I bet I am not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
This method has been shown to be effective for smokers and overeaters both of which are much more serious addictions than playing T8o (or too loosely in general).

I did something similar, though more subtle a few weeks ago. Every marginal/junk hand I didn't play I collected the chips I would have had to put in the pot and added to a "stack" of losses. If I would have won a hand I removed the appropriate number of chips. Over a 16 hour 10/20 LHE session I saved $600 - this has cured me of temptation for the time being...
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Success is a journey not a destination, for every journey a person needs the following, a vehicle, a map, and fuel. The vehicle in this instance is poker, the fuel is a bankroll, and the map, is the knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but today many of us (kids wearing hoodies) have cars with navigation systems (books we think we understand) that tell us how to find not only our destination (avoiding getting a real job), but also the nearest gas station (credit card with a high cash advance limit). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Many years ago, a good friend offered to show me his notes about me. He had page after page of notes analyzing my play, including specific weaknesses, suggestions for methods of exploiting those weaknesses, as well as results of how successful he was at implementing those exploits. It scared the daylights out of me to realize he had this database of specific information concerning how I played poker, while all I had on him was the general sense that “he’s tough.”

I don’t think I’ve played a session since where I failed to at least keep notes on my own play. I’ve never gotten in the habit of taking notes while seated, so I do it at breaks away from the table. I find it’s a great way of forcing myself to take the regular short breaks my aging mind needs to stay focused. But, I don’t really think taking brief notes at the table is an issue as long as you don’t make a big deal about it. (For instance, don’t look up while jotting down a note and ask, “Did he raise UTG with that JT suited?”)

I suppose there’s a theoretical downside to taking notes at the table, in that the occasional weak player may adjust their play after seeing you taking notes. However, I think that, for the typical opponent who is capable of making tactically sound adjustments to your actions, whether or not you take notes is probably the least factor influencing those adjustments.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM

nice post
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Do whatever you need to do to make yourself play better and the hell w/ anyone else that doesn't like it. It's your money you're playing with so you can do whatever you want.