Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Default accidentally flipping over your cards

What is the standard rule when you accidentally flip over your cards? Say there is action, and you decide to look at your hole cards again, and one of them flips over by accident. What happens to your hand? Is it dead? Can people still play but have to keep the card face up?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: accidentally flipping over your cards

It depends on the card room.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 AM

I know some people like to flip over their cards to get a tell when it's heads-up on the river. That is legal as far as I know. I guess i'm wondering - does it depend on whether there are multiple people in the pot? Where in the hand this accidental flipping happened (flop, turn, or river)? etc.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Not exactly related, but kind of a side note, I highly recommend taking every precaution against doing this at Canterbury Park. I damn near got thrown out by a nitty dealer who had to call the floor when it happened twice. God forbid, huh?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:46 PM

Your hand should never be killed. So yeah, you basically have to play out the hand with one card face up.

Exposing cards while there are multiple people in the pot is a no-no. If it's an accident, well... it happens. Doing it on purpose is a different matter, and while they shouldn't kill your hand they should read you the riot act and let you know that one more such stunt will get you tossed (after the hand--again, you don't kill your hand by doing this).

But specific card rooms may have different rules and some folks are more perturbed by this than others and may well kill your hand.

Heads-up in a cash game, most places allow you to expose your cards if you wish. Never is it ok in a tournament. Again, local rules apply so be careful.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM

I've played in cardrooms where the house rules state "Hands exposed in multiway pots are dead."

I've always assumed that meant intentionally exposed but now I'm wondering...

At foxwoods once (where they dont have that rule) I was all in and I exposed my cards bascially forgetting there was side action. I apologized to the table and felt like a jerk, but my hand was not declared dead (thank god because it was a huge pot and my hand held up). It did kill the action for the sidepot and I did screw the guy over who would have won the sidepot. He wasnt too happy but was semi-gentlemanly.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At foxwoods once (where they dont have that rule) I was all in and I exposed my cards bascially forgetting there was side action. I apologized to the table and felt like a jerk, but my hand was not declared dead (thank god because it was a huge pot and my hand held up). It did kill the action for the sidepot and I did screw the guy over who would have won the sidepot. He wasnt too happy but was semi-gentlemanly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never get PO'd at people who accidentally expose their cards (or intentionally expose them thinking the action is done). These things happen. I may really wish they hadn't since it can kill sidepots or stop someone from calling, but ya gotta let these things roll off.

It's the folks who do this on purpose and even state they're doing it that get under my skin. I wanna strangle the guy who flips up the 2nd nut when I hold the real nuts while 3 people are behind him waiting to act, stating "there's enough money in the pot--I don't want you guys calling", and then the guy with the 3rd nut turns it over and says "I was calling until I saw that". *BANG*ZOOM* *I* wanted the money, dammit!