Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Johan Santana says he\'d waive his NTC, what could your team offer?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blue Jays: No way they're moving Travis Snider and/or McGowan. Like I said above, if they would trade McGowan alone, the Twins would do it for a PTBNL and him.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that, in a vacuum, it would be a bad move for a team to trade McGowan+ for one year of Santana, I am not sure that applies to the Jays. Consider that the Jays are in the unique position of having to overcome one of the Yankees or Red Sox to make the playoffs. The only way they can possibly hope to achieve this is to gamble that everything goes right for their team all in one year. In other words, trading persistent good performance for one year of elite performance is EXACTLY the kind of move they have to make to have any prayer of making the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed this comment. While true, you are ignoring the fact that McGowan is a good bet to be almost as studly as Santana next year. McGowan's stuff is plus, his GB rate is better than Santana's (most pitchers are, though), and he is free of injury concerns. McGowan is not some average player that the Jays keep around; I would be very unsurprised if he puts up better numbers than Halladay and Burnett next year.

Trading him is not only a bad idea from a long-term POV, but a short-term one as well. You get a slight upgrade in the short-term while losing out big in the long-term.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Conor Jackson + Quinton!

Also, to whoever said it wasn't true that the Twins could be a contender next year, I don't think thats true. Their scoring and pitching should both improve next year, even if they let Hunter walk. They should also have some free money to take a stab at some worthwhile FAs...

Plus, if everything works out and they don't trade Santana, their rotation could be something like:

Santana
Liriano
Garza
Baker
Bonser/Perkins/Blackburn/Guerrier/Slowey

And that is assuming they don't resign Silva, which isn't a terrible option but might be a bit too expensive to be smart for them.

Crain/Reyes/Nathan/Neshek + a couple of the guys above also makes for a good bullpen.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

When they let Hunter walk their lineup is:

Mauer (injuries)
Morneau
Cuddyer (due for some regression)
los feliz slim
rey ordonez
kyle boddy
john mcdonald
a guy worse than the average NL 2nd baseman
a kid from my little league team

The pitching should improve, but that lineup is bad. REAL bad. REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLY BAD.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When they let Hunter walk their lineup is:

Mauer (injuries)
Morneau
Cuddyer (due for some regression)
los feliz slim
rey ordonez
kyle boddy
john mcdonald
a guy worse than the average NL 2nd baseman
a kid from my little league team

The pitching should improve, but that lineup is bad. REAL bad. REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLY BAD.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah its depressing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM

lol at that lineup projection. now that we talk about it more, i really think the dbacks will try and dump one of those young OF guys. they all have huge upside, but to me, with quentin already being 25 he stands out as the most likely to move. i doubt they'll trade montero too, now that i think about it..and your argument for keeping callaspo makes sense even with his off the field stuff and lack of major league production so far. he still tore up the minors this year, so idk. if the twins don't trade santana this offseason for some huge bats, their fans should mutiny..but what's hilarious is that their fans will probably mutiny if he DOES get traded.

James
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Its not as bad as you make it sound:

Mauer = ++ hitting C.
Morneau = + hitting 1B.
Bartlett = + hitting SS.
Kubel = + hitting LF.
Cuddyer = + hitting RF.
Casilla = Decent track minor league track record but hasn't had success in AAA/MLB yet...

Other possible decent offensive contributers:
Brian Buscher 3B (.309/.385/.493 in AA/AAA this year)
Matt Tolbert 2B (.293/.353/.427 in AAA this year)
Mike Redmond (spelling Mauer)

CF/DH are pretty much black holes at this point, but even after going through arbitration with or signing Cuddyer and Morneau, they should have a pretty decent amount of money to spend on FAs this year.

/edit Although I wouldn't count on Gardy to put the best players on the field...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mauer = ++ hitting C.
Morneau = + hitting 1B.
Bartlett = + hitting SS.
Kubel = + hitting LF.
Cuddyer = + hitting RF.
Casilla = Decent track minor league track record but hasn't had success in AAA/MLB yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bartlett is not a plus-hitting shortstop.
Casilla is not a plus-hitting 2nd baseman. His value is at shortstop.
Kubel is DEFINITELY not a plus-hitting left fielder. Not even close.
Cuddyer is good but not as good as he was last year.

Nick Punto at third base? loooooooooooooooooooololololol

Tolbert's not getting a look. Buscher should, but won't.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Buscher is waaaaaaaay old for his leagues and is not really a prospect. He will be 27 at the beginning of next year...he might be slightly above replacement level at the MLB level but he's not a 3b on a winning baseball team. Also, you should be terrified that the Twins have money to spend on FAs this year, since they all suck.

James
Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM

James,

Yeah, if I was a Twins fan I'd root for them to deal Santana, but I figure most Twins fans will mutiny IF he is moved. But that's fandom, I guess.

Quentin is the most likely to be moved; at the very least, he's the most expendable. Gonzalez will be ready in 2009, Callaspo is needed in the infield, and Montero is probably worth keeping around since Snyder is no great shakes.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buscher is waaaaaaaay old for his leagues and is not really a prospect. He will be 27 at the beginning of next year...he might be slightly above replacement level at the MLB level but he's not a 3b on a winning baseball team. Also, you should be terrified that the Twins have money to spend on FAs this year, since they all suck.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, Buscher is the kind of guy they should call up. He's the equivalent of Brian Barden on the Diamondbacks - old for their levels but figure to produce above replacement-level but not quite average for MLB. He's gotta be better than Nick Punto.